What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera 'Big Easy'

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
This late Spring through Summer was a busy time for my wife, Diane and I, we were kept busy with some of life's distractions.

Well to abbreviate, I failed to water my main tray of full-size Drosera 'Big Easy' plants in 3 inch pots. They were dry long enough for all their leaves to dry to a black crunchy --- I gave up on them and left them in their dry tray for the next three to four months. Things began to settle down and I was finally able to start tending to my plants again. As I picked up the tray of Drosera 'Big Easy', intending to throw them out, clean their pots for reuse, I noticed that despite being very dry from 3-4 months there were many sprouts showing through the masses of black, crunchy, dead leaves. So instead of throwing them out, I watered them and recently trimmed away all the old dead leaves to see a virtual forest of Drosera 'Big Easy'.

This Phoenix act was entirely unexpected. I have an even better respect for this Drosera clone. A non-tuberous drought-proof Drosera where I never expected to find one.

It's been a long time since I've seen you post Joseph. Hopefully all is going well for you.

That's very interesting news. I would have thought like you, after being dry for that long nothing would be left.
I'll remember that if I accidentally dry mine, not to throw it out. LOL

:pics:

This news does not surprise me much. There is a reason the S. Af. Drosera are often called the winter growing Drosera. Maybe because I grow cistiflora and trinervia and alba and pauciflora (and even capensis) I just take for granted that these beasts can take dry spells.

and i cant keep the dang thing alive for more than a few months.........interesting observation Joseph.

Its always great to have that happen- i have had some Phoenix acts with south african non-tuberous rosetteed sundews. Always a pleasant surprise.

Back