What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Aliciae Brownish Leaves

Hello all,

Firstly I greet you, I was following the forum before i register, it is a little bit strange coincidence i had a problem on my aliciae and my membership. Two days i saw some of my aliciae's leaves were brownish, before that there were some much dews on it. Now it is less. And brownish leaves are scary.I uprooted but couldnt see anything. The humidity is %61, temperature is 28-30 C degree, there is a light on it which is far away from the plant 12 cm. 18watt 6500K flourecent 1000 lumen. I am only using distilled water. The soil is somehow i don't know what is that but it came with that from cresco carnivorus, not peat moss not spaghnum. I also water it once in every 3 day with tray method. A while ago three consecutive days , i put it 3 hour direct sunlight before afternoon. I have this for 1 month i don't know the exact age. So, what am i doing wrong? Is it completely without no solution or still there is a chance? If there is a chance aswell, i ordered a 15lt Garten Gold brand peat moss for changing the medium( which i don't know is it a good brand) Thank you
Quick reminder: I can provide more photos if you want to ask.

Best regards

Attachments

• 20180515_172152.jpg
    20180515_172152.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I see old leaves starting to senesce on plants that need a lot more light, and that's about it (though this is a plant that has very, very long roots, so putting them in a large, much deeper pot would be good). D. aliciae has no problem growing in full sun so long as it's acclimated, and it needs time to acclimate to new conditions during which time old leaves will die off and the dew will disappear.

Ah ok then, due to the coincidence i thought i killed the plant. Today, i changed the soil with peat moss with perlite and with a bigger pot i also made the soil moisturized, thing is i added the water to tray and pot sits there, somehow it is not absorbing the water immediately. I also distribute the perlite and peat moss uniformly. Does the peat moss absorb the water slowly ? I have never used before.

A location in your profile could help people when answering questions.

The peat doesn't need to soak up all the water immediately. I would have the plant continuously sitting in an inch or more of water except in winter. Was the peat moist or dry when you replanted?

I specified as you suggest the location. The peat moss was moist while I was repotting it. I sprayed distilled water onto peat moss. It was not wet, a bit moisty. Also should i spray distilled water to the leaves for adding humidity?

Last edited:
Do not spray the foliage.
Yaprakları püskürtmeyin

Are you standing the pot in water?
Bitki suda mı duruyor?

Currently , the pot stays on the water. My worry is , all of the dews are disappeared and while it is like that i can't feed it with alive bugs. They don't stick. Normally how should it take for recovering the dews from the scratch, if the proper conditions are provided?

With the correct conditions - more light and more water - as you are now providing the plant should recover and improve. You do not have to feed it.

Doğru şartlar ile - daha fazla ışık ve daha fazla su - şu anda size verdiğiniz gibi bitkiyi iyileştirmeli ve iyileştirmelisiniz. Onu beslemek zorunda değilsin.

Ok, thank you so much. I'll provide the photos in this thread meanwhile in recovering.

So currently, the state is like that. Still not looking good but we'll see. It takes so much light during the day time. Approximately 14 hours.

Attachments

• 20180519_231332.jpg
    20180519_231332.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 70
Hello everyone, Can here.

I just wanted to post a quick update here. Since I couldn't see any other threads in the net like this problem. Maybe there but I couldn't find them. My Aliciae is still bad it is in front of 1520 lumen led white light directly. 10 cm away from light. Water is battery water(pure). 30 Celcius temperature and percent 60 humidity. I don't really know what to do next but should i cut the brown leaves ? Are they dead already ? Thank you

Best regards

Attachments

• 20180524_235541 (2).jpg
    20180524_235541 (2).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 67
I wouldn't necessarily cut those leaves. They look like they've suddenly gotten a lot more light than they were used to but aren't fully dead. I feel like 30C is pretty hot. Is that your constant temp? That could be contributing to them not looking so hot.

Yes it is constant right now. On my previous posts I explained the story about changing in lighting. Probably thats the reason. Will they somehow recover from that colors ?

I expect the current leaves to all die off, they don't look like they can recover. You have to be patient, the new growth will take time.

Mevcut yaprakların hepsinin ölmesini beklerim, iyileşebilirlermiş gibi görünmezler. Sabırlı olmalısın, yeni büyüme zaman alacak.

Leave the plant in full light. Stand it in 2 cm of water.

Tesisi tam ışıkta bırakın. 2 cm su içinde bekletin.

Sit back and read War and Peace.

Arkanıza yaslanın ve Savaş ve Barış okuyun.

Last edited:
Back