What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosea ID

I've got these growing in several differant pots. None of which were supposed to have Drosera in them. Weeds!! Lovely, lovely weeds!!

What are they?

2010870Drosera.jpg

considering your growlist...i say its D. spatulata
Alex

Looks to be Drosera capillaris. There is a characteristic of the petiole I look for that helps me make a quick ID. If you look carefully at the petiole, from above or a magnified cross-section, from above there appear 2 parallel lines along the length of the petiole and a raised hump between the lines. The appearance of these characteristics of the petiole, though similar to other Drosera, is unique to Drosera capillaris.

After you have flowers it will be easier to increase the certainty of an ID.

HA! then that meansi had capillaris! i had this mystery dew several months ago. i had no clue to what it was. it did have that petiole thing on it! does it have white flowers?
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 07 2006,7:53)]HA! then that meansi had capillaris! i had this mystery dew several months ago. i had no clue to what it was. it did have that petiole thing on it! does it have white flowers?
Alex
Drosera capillaris can have pink or white flowers, though pink are more common, hence one of its common names.

alright. mine had whit flowers. do they grow naturally in south carolina?
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 07 2006,10:34)]alright. mine had whit flowers. do they grow naturally in south carolina?
Alex
Yes, they are native to South Carolina. They can even be quite weedy, where conditions are favorable.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've got some flower stalks on a couple of these, so I'll check the flowers when they open. If they are D. capillaris I assume they will be okay over the winter in the pots with the S. psittacina. I keep all my dormant plants in the garage over the winter.

Back