What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driftwood

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I got some driftwood from the LFS last week to put in my ball python's cage. I washed it off pretty good with a bruch and all that. Is there anything else I should do before adding it to the cage? I'm just trying to be safe.

What I know that some fish people do is to boil it to get the tannins out, which is a dark colored stuff that can harm the fish if it leaks out, and also boiling helps the wood to sink. But I wouldn't worry about doing this for your snake, since I'm guessing the wood will be kept dry.

-Ben

Tannins do not harm the fish unless the wood you are using is some sort of poisonous species. No one uses poisonous wood in aquaria.

We boil and boil and boil until the tannins are out because... brown water is ugly lol. Some fish actually do better with tannins.

It's fine murphy. Just put the wood in the cage and that's it.

Oh, lol ok. I used to be a 'fish person' but that was a long time ago. I guess I forgot some stuff.

-Ben

Best to treat the wood with a Miteacide. Mites can be a NASTY problem with reptiles. I have heard of some folks who "baked" the driftwood in an oven at 300 degrees to kill off the mites.

Some people also use a sealer on the wood, to be on the safe side. It shoudln't be necessary, but it might make cleaning poo easier.

Back