What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

If you'r worried about freezing, dig a hole in the ground, plop the pot into the hole and mulch. No big deal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 04 2006,5:46)]If you'r worried about freezing, dig a hole in the ground, plop the pot into the hole and mulch. No big deal.
well..that depends on where you live.
its "not a big deal" in Texas,
but it could be a big deal in Ohio.

IMO, digging a hole in Texas isnt necessary, because the plant will be fine not being in a hole.

and IMO, digging a hole is too risky in Ohio..still too cold.
might work, but there are better alternatives.

Scot

Then wait untill the first freeze and put it in the fridge, or put it in the garage /basement.

I live an hour west of Scottychaos. I had my temperate CP's outside in minibogs last year, as I do this year. When the temps were forecasted to have overnight lows in the lower 30's I took toted them to the attic for the winter. I placed them at a SW window sill and watered them sparingly.... and waited winter out. I DID lose the 2 VFT's I had at the time, but attribute those losses to having been weak BEFORE I moved them. Every other species I had came back for me. Beginning in late February, one by one, first the D. filiformis, binata, rotundifolia, and intermedia. And the the Sarracenias and cobra lily. I used no fungicides. I just let the increasing photoperiod and waffling warmer temps determine when to break dormancy. I will do the same this year.

Is it a good sign when the new leaves/traps for VFT's are low to the ground? Mine are starting to grow some like that. I'm just not sure when is the right time to bring them in to the attic. What is a good sign I should look for. Last year the water in the pot froze and I broght them in to the fridge but they ended up dying. Now I have about 20 plants outside and I don't want that to happen again.

VFT leaves DO do that in the fall/winter. They are narrower and more upright during the growing season. Just plain normal.

I would bring them to the attic when your overnight lows are going to be in the 30's.

once again...can someone mention the signs in the leaves to start dormancy??? thanx.

I don't have a picture of the leaves, but I can tell you that in contrast to the narrower, upright leaves of the growing season, the leaves that you are looking for will be shorter, wider, and resting on the bottomof the substrate. There will also be more yellowing and blackening of the leaves and the traps will be far less responsive to stimuli.

The nights are getting down to about the high 30's low 40's but then some days its back to the high 60's low 70's. Are yours inside now Jim?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Oct. 11 2006,2:57)]The nights are getting down to about the high 30's low 40's but then some days its back to the high 60's low 70's. Are yours inside now Jim?
thats still warm enough that they dont need to come in for the season yet..

Scot

We just had a low of 26 last night with frost and flurries. The water in my trays is frozen. The windchill is about 17. But in two days it will be back up in the 50's. I hate Wisconsin weather. In two weeks it will be 90 watch. Then the next day it will snow.

At times like that I think the photoperiod is what the VFT depends on to tell it to go dormant or not. We have the same thing here in Texas. At night it will be down in the 30's and during the day it will swing up to 90. Sometimes it will be in the 30's for a week and the following week it will be in the 90's. But my VFT's have never really been tricked or hurt by this.

Yea I just don't want my VFT's and sars to be hurt by being too cold and with the wind and all that.

Back