What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seems like my plants are finally going to sleep as most growth has slowed and everybody (except S.leucophylla and 'Dana's Delight) are looking very sleepy. Can I peel off the top layer of live sphagnum from my pots and let it grow indoors over the winter or does it also need dormancy? Second, my 'big mouth' VFT pot has a big slime issue as the top of the soil is covered in green slime and little strands of moss or grass or whatever is starting to grow but the plants still look very healthy. Should I remove this slime and growth before I put them into my garage for the winter. Finally, I took my tropical sundews inside today as temps are starting to reach the upper 40s at night. What would be the best advice to keeping these guys indoors without building a terrarium? Thanks for all the help.

-sniff- I hate to see these guys go to sleep...
smile_h_32.gif

1) I actually received live shpagnum last December and cultivated at the lab, in a shallow plastic tray, right at the window sill. So I think you could do that. Although, and I can't say for sure, for the plant's sake, it might be beneficial to leave some sphagnum in the pots. I don't think sphagnum requires dormany.

2) I would remove the slime / algae beforehand.

3) I wintered all my plants, especiallythe tropical sundews, right at the window sills at the lab, all open tray. They did just fine. I only had trouble with keeeping Nep cuttings alive.

Thx Jim.. good advice as so far the sundews are liking the windowsill. I see you're moving up to these parts. I work in East Aurora so whenever you get settled look me up when you get here.
smile.gif

you can leave the moss there if you want. it goes dormant in temperate areas, anyway.

Good to know. Finally the moss in my pots has grown very healthy and gotten quite massive. I'd hate to throw it away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ Oct. 15 2005,7:04)]Thx Jim.. good advice as so far the sundews are liking the windowsill. I see you're moving up to these parts. I work in East Aurora so whenever you get settled look me up when you get here.  
smile.gif
Thanks, one way or another, I will hook up with you.
smile.gif

Back