What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

Beautiful plants Don. Damn! I was on the AW list for eddie back in feb, but i was away from the country and missed replying to Andreas's email regd confirming my eddie and lost the spot. damn! What a shame...looks like he has a spectacular clone.
Oh, that sucks... Were you able to get back on the list and not to the back of the line? He seems to be getting them out quicker now.

That hamiguitanensis is great, Don. Mine is barely an inch, but seems like it will be well worth the wait.
Thanks, Mat. Mine was about an inch when I got it. It seems to like intermediate conditions more than highland.

Guess what came in the mail today?

They are the typical AW sized seedlings. The leonardoi and dubia Malea have growth tips that have broken clean off and the mantalingajanensis leaves look desicated (although it doesn't look like it in the pic). I have a feeling they are going to take a while to settle in... :(

N. mantalingajanensis

N. lowii Mulu

N. pervillei

N. dubia Malea

N. leonardoi

N. surigaoensis

All currently soaking in Trichoderma and Superthrive.

<----- watches in jealousy :p

they all look to be very healthy. very very good news after awaiting import! congrats

awesome! did you get a new growspace?

Recently purchased a 4x8 grow tent where I will move the highlanders into but haven't had time to set it up. Myles beat me in setting his up so he's the guinea pig. :p

I've never even heard of most of those. Either you have an extra large quarter or AW plants are getting bigger.

the only input i have so far on the setup is that i did add a humidifier to pump into the end of the AC duct so the air coming in isnt so dry. just threw it on the same circuit as the ac so it only runs when the AC is chugging.

oh how i hate having to refill the dang humidifiers :awesome:

Great acquisitions! I'm a little surprised by the size of the pervillei (the others, not so much). Too bad about the broken growth tips - be sure to get replacements sent this month.

I've never even heard of most of those. Either you have an extra large quarter or AW plants are getting bigger.
I was really impressed with the size of the pervillei and leonardoi. The others are typical of what I have received from him..

the only input i have so far on the setup is that i did add a humidifier to pump into the end of the AC duct so the air coming in isnt so dry. just threw it on the same circuit as the ac so it only runs when the AC is chugging.

oh how i hate having to refill the dang humidifiers :awesome:

I was thinking of doing the same thing by running the humidifier only when the ac is on. To avoid constantly refilling the humidifier, I was thinking about using a floating fogger in a large reservoir. That should prevent drastic humidity drops when the ac turns on.

Great acquisitions! I'm a little surprised by the size of the pervillei (the others, not so much). Too bad about the broken growth tips - be sure to get replacements sent this month.

I don't think I'll ask for replacements because of the broken tips. They should grow out. My concern is that all of them do not have roots which is unlike most plants I have received from him in the past. I'll keep them in high humidity and see what happens.

Congrats Don, they all look great, and I'm glad you got the next order figured out also.

Wow what an import! Good luck with the Perv! From what I've looked into, they appear to benefit from strong lighting once the plant has been adapted.

I don't think I'll ask for replacements because of the broken tips. They should grow out. My concern is that all of them do not have roots which is unlike most plants I have received from him in the past. I'll keep them in high humidity and see what happens.

I'm sure you're already familiar with the usual process of these orders, but it's still a good idea to send him pictures of the damaged/desiccated plants to ensure compensation should they not pull through. Although slightly broken growth tips are usually quick to grow out of the problem, it's the susceptibility to fungal pathogens that I would be most concerned about, especially considering they have not been "inoculated" by the usual bulwarks to disease.

Plus, the best thing about Wistuba is the no BS approach to replacements, even if it sometimes takes a while.

Thanks for the advice... I'll send him some closeup pics of the damage just in case.

Hey DonH I was just wondering, was your order scheduled for June delivery? Or was yours supposed to be May? I received an email saying the plants would be shipped in June, and I'm leaving town in the first week of July. I thought that would be ok but now I'm getting worried.

Congrats Don, they all look great, and I'm glad you got the next order figured out also.
Thanks again for offering to add me to your group buy. Since one of the plants is an edwardsiana, I decided to just add more plants in case something happens with the shipment and I need to address it directly to Andreas.

Wow what an import! Good luck with the Perv! From what I've looked into, they appear to benefit from strong lighting once the plant has been adapted.
Thanks for the info! I have put it at the lower level of my intermediate growing area and will slowly move it up towards the light if it acclimates well.

Hey DonH I was just wondering, was your order scheduled for June delivery? Or was yours supposed to be May? I received an email saying the plants would be shipped in June, and I'm leaving town in the first week of July. I thought that would be ok but now I'm getting worried.
This order was scheduled to be shipped in May. It was shipped out of Germany on May 25. I received the Click-N-Ship notification from the Maryland distributor on Sunday, June 2 and was on my doorstep by Wednesday.

I have another shipment scheduled for June that most likely will go out at the end of the month. That's probably the same shipment your plants will be on so hopefully it will get to your place by the first week of July. What did you get?

OK that makes me feel a little better. I got N. tenuis, N. muluensis, N. jacquelinae, and N. aristolochioides. I just want to make sure they can get settled in before I have to leave.

Here's the new edwardisana from AW

A trio of eddies

Newest pitcher from the AW clone still getting darker

Original pitcher from the seed grown edwardsiana fully colored up

Newest pitcher from SG eddie

Newest pitcher from N. macrophylla BE clone

N. villosa

N. lingulata still no visible appendage

N. klossii

I loves me sum teef lol they look great!!! How big/old is your villosa?

looking good buddy! as usual..

Wow! Everything looks phenomenal.

Healthy and clean, as always. :beer:

The larger your plant becomes, the more I think that particular Wistuba clone of edwardsiana has slightly atypical coloration for the species. Looking around, you don't see too many photos of dark plants. Also, I was thinking the clone I just received doesn't look quite like the other one did when it arrived. I'd like to see if it's actually one of his other, slower clones.

I've been told that only some lingulata exhibit the lid appendage at a small size, but most do not. When it gets a bit larger it should become more apparent. A pitcher on mine just opened behind some pots, so I need to get in there today to have a look at it. I'll report any appendages that I may find.

Anyway, I'm smitten, Don. What more can I say?

Back