What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doctors Use Patient's Stem Cells

-looks at his long-standing cigarette addiction, shrugs-

Arrrgh! Complacency!

No, seriously though, this is kinda neat. I wonder what cells those were specifically? I always though organ rejection was a 100% thing, so now I'm curious at to what the difference in cells were.

The Stem cells were their own is what I would guess

This is good!
perhaps this will be a way around the ridiculous stemcell research ban in the US..

Scot

This is good!
perhaps this will be a way around the ridiculous stemcell research ban in the US..

Scot
Agreed. IIRC, this was "W's" 1st veto (after ignoring all the egregious spending bills).

In the last few days, I saw an article that Obama's team has been developing a list of executive orders to issue quickly after he's sworn in. Many of them were intended to undo at least some of "W's" damage. Hopefully now we'll be able to truly explore the potential of stem cells & related approaches ...

Sadly I also saw an article on "W's" approach to try to issue some new late-term policy directives to make it difficult for Obama to change things (this article was aimed specifically on environmental issues).

All this bio-medical and environmental research is witchery - Burn the Heretic Scientists!

lol! ;)

Seriously though, I'm glad we might have an administration that sees value in research and development on progressing something other than war machines. I've read some articles too that say there's a chance many of the nefarious things enacted in the last 8 years can be undone "with the stroke of a pen" but I've also read that the "Loyal Bushies" are working hard to make them permanent or at least harder to undo. So it's wait and see I guess.

I think the part really worth noting is that they didn't need rejection-suppressant drugs. A big factor in transplant failure is complications from the drugs they put you on. There's going to be some strange, amazing things in the next few decades...
~Joe

There's going to be some strange, amazing things in the next few decades...
We can only hope! If we had an administration that was serious about research more than serious about protecting the economy of big Pharma (under the guise of "ethics") I think we could take care of damn near everything in the next couple decades. I don't believe there's a shortage of scientists or ideas but rather a shortage of ideas scientists are "allowed" to pursue. Any research done on an independent basis is essentially illegal and void so unless their research coincides with the gov's worldview they can forget any funding or "legitimacy" given to their work.

I, for one, am looking forward to having an extra left arm grafted onto my right arm.
~Joe

My friends in college and I would always talk about how whenever we "mastered" cancer, we would be able to mutate cells into whatever we wanted, and inject them into people and grow some wings, some gills, or whatever! Someday I plan to write a science fiction book about something along those lines.

xvart.

maybe I can stem cell some fish gills behind my ears...

Cool, but I am a little confuzed. I thought the only way to get stem cells was through an embryo. So they are in adults still, or do I just not get what happened? ???

Back