What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do cuttings and leaf pulls have a lower success when done in autumn.

Do they just rot, or do they still stay dormant till spring...

As I have a few Australian Reds to do... these grow well all year round never done them over winter, so I question about the rhizome cuttings as well as the leaf pull.

Rhizome's Divisions will pop up I am sure however, I am talking about cutting the Rhizome in half with a knife.

Advise welcome.

Noddy

Your cutting success rate is dependant on a few variables, but the big 3 are soil type, humidity and temps, generally 24-27c and 70-90% humidity with spag soils will work for most carns, however, some lowland nepenthes prefer to be struck in a peat/sand mix, some highland in pure perlite or spag/perlite, I don't know what an Aust red is, but if its a carn I'm guessing its a cephalotus as your saying rhizome, if so the prior temps/humidity/soil is fine, but I would suggest leaf pulling as they are much safer.

Also some carns will only grow from seed, Drosera burmanni coming to mind where leaf and root cuttings fail, luckily these sort of plants generally self seed and make hundreds of seed

Hope this helps
Cheers Brandan

As long as you get a portion of the white rhizome at the leaf base, rooting is almost certain. I've successfully taken leaf pullings and divisions as late as the end of October . . .

You can do it when you want.

I'll have to experiment a little I think on this one as I know this one does tend to grow rather well. I've just never tried over the winter months.

Back