What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY LED plant light project

Very nice! Is there a pic of the led setup?

@Butch, any optics on your Tri-Star?

Very nice! Is there a pic of the led setup?
Ummmmm its pretty cheesey but Ill get a pic or two today

@Butch, any optics on your Tri-Star?
Carl, no.... I have some 22 degree optics from the last trials.... but I thought I would see how it performs with their 120 degree spread.
Actually, I like it better for what Im doing... I have it mounted on top of a small 5 gallon aquarium and the entire aquarium looks evenly illuminated.
Using the 22 would provide a relatively small circle at that same height.
Shadowing also seems greatly reduced. But now if someone wanted more height then something may be required imho... but im thinking more like a 60-90, 22 is just too tight of beam I think.... all depends on the desired height.
I now feel the 120 is likely an excellent starting point for all but tall setups

I do love the artic silver 2 part thermal epoxy, omg is it efficient and easy to use (but very permanent)
She is running uber cool.... almost cold to the touch.

Last edited:
The 12W R/B/A/W grow lamp I have has no optics and I find that helps to to blend the colours better.

Looks like I could purchase your Tri-Star for $20.76 plus P&P... so I might give it a go when I get time.

Here is a pic I took a couple days ago... I slid the lid back to give a look at the plant.
Please overlook the cheesey setup, just a quickie using junk i had in storage shed.

IMG_2336.JPG

(Image taken with a point and click)

I saw spots for several mins after taking this image, their intensity is simply amazing.
IMG_4631_hf.jpg

Heatsink has a 3/16ths solid copper plate base... great for this application imho
(I did take a stone to the copper plate to make sure it was absolutely true and flat)

Now the bad part, the final cost.... about 100ish USD as shown

Custom Tristar 48ish *note
Constant current dimmable driver 16ish
fan/Heatsink 10ish
Capacitor 0.50ish (purchased locally)
5K pot 0.50ish (purchased locally)
Artic Silver 2 part thermal epoxy 15ish
12vdc/1.5amp wall pack 12ish (purchased locally)
plus associated shipping charges where applicable

*note: would now be 25 less due to the fact I was the first to spec out this configuration
(one time custom config fee)

Last edited:
Always love the experiments Butch!
post_tutorial_mad-scientist_2_470.jpg

:bigthumpup:

ty sensei :hail:

hehehehehe ;-)

@Butch, what's the total wattage of your Tri-Star?

ummm current is 700ma and each LED is probably dropping 3.25vdc or so, so ummmm P=IE
(LED's are in series)
guessing 6-7watts

P= 0.7*9.75vdc

I could check voltage drops and be more accurate, but I think that would be a decent estimate

The white and blue can handle up to 1000ma, but the red's limit is 700ma (recommended limits)

So, by the book it could be more, but my numbers are more real world.
I think I had rather use addtional LED's then overdrive them....

Last edited:
Update Carl?
My experiment is still going and has been working well, just too dang expensive for more than a speciemen plant or two....

Got it but not really put it into proper use yet. Was going to put it over my U. campbelliana, but that is growing so well under the existing LED lamp that I don't want to risk changing it. I've recently set the Philips lamp up above my Tank Ceph 2, but far too early to say if it's suitable.

Update,

Growth, flowering, dew... all good, no doubt the spectral combination performs well imho.

Av

It's looking good Butch. The spectrum enhances the appearance of the plant too.

I bought a HO 240 Blackstar led. Had to trouble shoot it and was floored at how simple it looked compared to the cost of it once i got the cover off.

They make 12 watt led spot bulbs also. I use them with a clamp reflector you can buy at lowes.

Now i have a "15 watt" that was really 12 watt spot bulb from advanced led. Boy was that a rip off but it is pretty bright

Back