What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY COB LED info

That's great to hear you have access to nice machines! CPU heatsink works well.

If you go with HLG-185H-C1400, you can drive 4x CXB3590 or CXB3070. Slightly more light (with the similar input wattage) with CXB3590. It doesn't have enough voltage for 4x CXA3070, though.

From calculation based on data sheet, CXB3590 appear to be worth getting. But the PPFD measurement done by one person, CXB3070 seems to be not far behind from CXB3590 at the low current. So it's difficult to say the extra $13.50 is justifiable. There appear to be more choices of LED holders, reflectors, and pre-drilled heatsink with the smaller CXB3070.

Well that is certainly more information than I was expecting! I didn't realize that there are no high bin high CRI parts available. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how things go in here since I won't be ready to build one until next year sometime.

Got all of the parts ordered and should be building a new light after the new year! Went with the cxb3070 and the appropriate driver HLG-185H-C1400. I also decided to go active cooling with a CPU fan and heat sink for each cob led. Found the CPU/fans for 9.00 each. I will incorporate everything into a frame and away we go! Anyone else close to taking the plunge?

Any update? :D

I'm looking at pricing out a power supply and cooling now!

If by power supply you mean the wall adapter to run the cpu fans I ended up using an old phone charger. Just have to make sure it will power all the fans at once. Im running four fans at 5 volts and it seems to be plenty enough cooling, and quiet too. I found a heatsink and cpu/fan for 9.00 dollars on amazon. I built the 400 watt light , actually two 200 watt fixtures and they are amazing. I will be posting pics soon probably take some good ones this weekend. Keep us posted how you are doing things.

Last edited:
ARCTIC Alpine 64 GT Rev. 2 CPU Cooler - AMD, Supports Multiple Sockets, 80mm PWM Fan at 22dBA
If you go to amazon and search for these they are the ones I used. Basically I looked for the cheapest ones I thought would work. Sorry couldn't seem to get a proper link.

Any tips on how many ways for a 2 foot by 5 foot space for drosera

jwalker if your talking enough to just winter them indoors you could probably get away with the first build at the beginning of this thread, which is a single 100 watt COB led running at half power so you end up with a 50 watt light. Not being sure as to the light requirements of the drosera you are going to grow its hard to say how much light you need but the second build he covers at the beginning of this thread gives you a finished light that puts out 200 watts! (4 COB leds at half power again). That much light in a 2 x 5 grow area and you will need sunglasses in order to water your plants lol.
Hopefully someone else can chime in, just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not just over wintering them I'm going to keep them year round. The dews I have are mostly tropical like capensis and spathulata. I've got 30 types. I just really want to maximize there potential. I don't think my gf would appreciate having to wear sunglasses in the kitchen though lol.

Lol no im guessing not. Even the 50 watt is way to much for a kitchen type grow area unless you really did some creative shielding. Im not familiar with the leds to know how to build a lower watt light, but maybe Naoki could give you better advice. Good luck keep us informed what way you decide to go.

I mean I now it will be bright I have 2 4 foot shop light in there already.

I shouldn't have said to bright. I guess what I mean is the light is not spread out like it would be with a long fluorescent bulb. The light will be more concentrated and in a circle as opposed to running length wise. Harder to cover the five foot length of your grow area. You might try building a 50 watt and go from there. If its not enough build another. I will post pics when I get home showing the 50 watt and the two 200 watt lights I built and how they cover. Maybe it will give you a better idea.

That sounds great .That will give me a good idea how the lights coverage is. I was thinking like 3 or 4 50 watt lights might be the way to go or a bunch of smaller leds

I don't pretend to know how to grow Drosera well (I have only 5-6 species, and recently got about 10 more species of Pygmy). Can you tell me what is the optimum (or sufficient) level of light (e.g. in fc)? They can take full sun, right (I grow them outside in the summer, but AK sun may be weaker)? For low light plants like Orchids and Nepenthes, I think that 2x 50W of CXB3070 (or Vero 29) would be enough for the area (i.e. each covers about 2'x2' area). That will be similar to 4 bulb T5HO (or slightly less). So 3-4x of CXB3070 (or Vero 29) could be a good start (150-200W total).

It will be good to surround the area with reflective or white materials, so you don't waste light and you can get a bit more homogeneous light, though.

I think Vero 29 Ver. 2 had a recent price cut, so it became more attractive (slightly less efficient than Cree CXB, though). If you go with Cree, Cutter Electronics seems to be a good place to get high bin CXB's:

Cutter Electronics Your one stop Led Shop:

Check here, for the coupon to bring down the price of CXB3070 (US$31)and CXB3590 (US$43). I think that it is still valid.

Est, Arctic Alpine 64GT which aerogrower recommended look like a good deal.

Last edited:
This fixture is 6 ft long and has 4 100 watt COB leds running at half power. The driver is mounted on the wall. The wall is 8 ft long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I attached the cpu/fans to the angle. I used aluminium rivets.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I mounted the COB leds.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a blast doing this. Wish I could build more I have all kinds of ideas. Thanks Naoki for getting me started.

Attachments

• 20160118_184114.jpg
    20160118_184114.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20160118_184331.jpg
    20160118_184331.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160118_184447.jpg
    20160118_184447.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Est, Arctic Alpine 64GT which aerogrower recommended look like a good deal.

Unfortunately I don't have a convenient way to tap and drill the heatsinks at the moment. Going to do some more looking, but I may go with an option that's pre-drilled for compatibility with an appropriate holder. Worst case, I know you posted some a page or two back. Have you stumbled upon anything else in the meantime?

Aero, looking good! What're you planning on growing under the lights?

I have a 10 x 10 outdoor greenhouse pretty much full of plants. Being in Michigan that means come winter they all go in the basement. I have cps, orchids, and many tropicals. Until this year they just went in corner of basement and I have T5s over them. Next year they will have there own room and LEDs over them. Can't wait to fill up the room!

This fixture is 6 ft long and has 4 100 watt COB leds running at half power. The driver is mounted on the wall. The wall is 8 ft long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I attached the cpu/fans to the angle. I used aluminium rivets.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I mounted the COB leds.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a blast doing this. Wish I could build more I have all kinds of ideas. Thanks Naoki for getting me started.

It seems it might be a bad idea to tell you about the guy who built a water cooled led setup for his reef tank........

It seems it might be a bad idea to tell you about the guy who built a water cooled led setup for his reef tank........

Please enlighten me..... I was just thinking I need something to do in my spare time !!! Sounds like the beginning of another thread.

Well for right now ask yourself a question. Which would be more efficient as a heat sink at removing heat from an emitter, a solid chunk of aluminium (hi Fred!) with a fan blowing on it or a piece of copper pipe with water circulating through it and a heat exchanger?

Back