What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

I already harvested my Devil Claws fruits here because I noticed a line down the middle of them. Did I harvest too early or did I not? Just asking.

Picture001-25.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

I finally got around to harvesting the rest of my claws. Seed went everywhere as the claws were all split open already. The sun also did a number on some of them and thus, they look bleached. Nevertheless, I got some good ones....

PB200030.jpg

PB200029.jpg

PB200031.jpg

Spiky:
PB200032.jpg

PB200037.jpg

PB200039.jpg

PB200042.jpg

Where the roots originate:
PB210048.jpg

This cut was done towards the bottom of the main stem. Note how there is dry, white tissue below the dermal tissue. Once dry the white tissue is light and soft, almost like styrofoam:
PB210049.jpg

This cut was made made on an upper stem. All upper stems have a hollow pith:
PB210055.jpg

Picture010-3.jpg

Hard to discern, but that tape is stretched out to 4':

Picture001-29.jpg

I can only imagine how big they get in their natural habitat!

Picture002-28.jpg

I've never seen a claw this long before. Is it still growing in length?

Picture003-25.jpg

Good to see that you finally have some nicely sized ones coming your way! :awesome:

I've never seen a claw this long before. Is it still growing in length?

Wait until you see a one footer in person. It's like they were made to hook on the the legs of a giant sloth from the Pleistocene.

to jimscott: How come your Devil get so massive.. If I recall correctly mines sprout 2 weeks a head of yours. maybe its the soil?

I planted them in a mini bog with polite and peat mix. they do better on ground soil?

My devil's claw is only 1/3 the size of yours *shame*

IDK.... I planted several in front of the apartment. Some sprouted and some didn't. One looks like it was grown indoors and a few are decent sized. All are in the same soil with mulch on top. That one is just a monster.

Picture010-6.jpg
Go figure....

That's a big 'un! Now watch it produce a couple dozen large claws, and you'll be harvesting seeds for hours!:boogie: (I had 5 of them last year about that size. They are prolific, to say the very least)

Can you see the extremely tiny plant off to the right of the monster? It's just a few feet away.

It's like having zucchini:

Picture027-3.jpg

Picture030-3.jpg

From a small plant in a bucket just died:

Picture039-3.jpg

Picture040-2.jpg

I was surprised that it hung on long enough to actually mature looking seeds.

100_8467.jpg
No Seed Left Behind

Last edited:
Those are huge! I might want to get one of these plants just to use the seed pods in sculptural pieces.

Here is a picture of my Devil Claw plant this year and it already has a flower bud.

DevilClawsPlant5.jpg

LOL! I just took this picture this morning:

101_0368.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my seedpods on a Devil Claw Plant here:
DevilClawFruit2.jpg

Is it getting ready to be harversted or not?

Back