What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deflasking Drosera hartmeyerorum, 2nd attempt

Shadowtski

Supporter
Today I deflasked a new Drosera hartmeyerorum. This is my second attempt at getting this species out of Tissue Culture. I bought this one from a different source. It has definite root nubs on the bottom, not just a callus.

This time I sterilized my growing medium. I cooked a 2:1 Sand:peat mix at 15 psi for 45 minutes. This should prevent outside contamination. I rinsed the plant under tepid running water instead of just soaking it in water. This should do a better job of removing the Agar.

I potted it up in a 3 cup yogurt container with a transparent snap on lid. I set it in a bright spot away from direct sunlight. I will open the lid a little bit every day to acclimate it.

Wish me luck. I hope I learned a little bit from mistakes with my previous one.

Incidentally, my seed grown hartmeyerorum is starting to look like a real plant. It's 3/4 inch tall and I saw a yellow trichome on a leaf the other day, the closest gland to the stalk.

Good growing,
Mike

Feed early and often!

Again, I have to report total failure. Rest in Peace Drosera hartmeyerorum T.C. attempt 2.
A few days after deflasking, the plant turned a funny unhealthy shade of green. It looked like the color that Celery exhibits when it starts to freeze and shows serious cell damage. It shifted from unhealthy green to terminal grey in color. Anyways, it's dead now, dead as the Monty Python Pet-shop Parrot. I'll leave it alone in the hope that a new plant might grow from the roots.

I officially surrender on trying to get this species out of Tissue Culture. I will stick with growing it from seed, like everyone else.

Thank to all who offered suggestions.

Good growing,
Mike

This is an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has managed to deflash a drosera hartmeyerorum successfully after shipping. I have been through exactly this 3 times now. Not a single plant has survived. I've deflasked several other plants successfully. drosera as well as nepenthes, but drosera hartmeyerorum, drosera regia and drosera stolonifera - always fail. They get tangled up in a ball/glob in shipping and get the agar media all over the leaves and no matter how well I rinse them till I am certain they are clean, they get contaminated within days and die. I've given up on buying the cultures. I've started believing that the leaves absorb some of the media or something (maybe micro damage from the tangling up?) and that it can never be fully rinsed off.

Regia does slightly better - takes a bit longer to succumb, but dies anyway.

Didn't even bother to try with byblis cultures. Learned my lesson with long leaved dews.

Strangely, other drosera may come out of the media and even land face down on the agar, but they survive the deflasking (maybe because there is no damage to the leaf itself?).

Here is a quick follow-up.
My seed-grown hartmeyerorum did survive to adulthood.
It flowered and produced seed for me.
This species seems fragile when young.
If you can get them to one inch tall, you have a good chance with them if you feed them heavily.
They like tropical conditions, much warmer than my growing area.
They are an annual growing species.
They die after producing several flower scapes.

Good growing,
Mike

Back