What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep enough?

Hi all,

Is this deep enough for a VFT in a pot? The whitish bulb is beneath the soil, but some whitish part on the leaves can still be seen. If I were to bury this whitish part also, would it impend emerging stalks?

vft6.jpg

looks fine to me!
you dont need to bury ALL of the white parts of the stems..
you want the *center* of the growing point to be above-ground..(meaning the point where all new leaves emerge..new leaves should notcome up from *under* soil! if you get my meaning..)

Scot

Technically, they can come up from under ground, or right at the surface, but after a while they rossest so you have a hole in the middle where leaves come out if the crown is under the surface. I have plants that grow both ways.

It looks just fine. I personally wouldn't change it.

Thanks for all the replies
smile.gif

Anyway, just out of curiosity, if too much whitish part is above grow, will it kill the plant becos of heat, fungus etc? I read somewhere here (or another forum) of someone who did just that and had his/her VFT killed.

Aso, is it true that the whitish base will gradually sink deeper into the grow as the VFT grows?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ July 30 2003,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks for all the replies  
smile.gif

Anyway, just out of curiosity, if too much whitish part is above grow, will it kill the plant becos of heat, fungus etc? I read somewhere here (or another forum) of someone who did just that and had his/her VFT killed.

Aso, is it true that the whitish base will gradually sink deeper into the grow as the VFT grows?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
no, though it will move 'sideways' as new VFT traps emerge!
biggrin.gif
Leave it in its pot for two years, and if you planted it in the middle of the pot, the bulb will be on the side of the pot!
biggrin.gif
wow.gif

Back