What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear departed Fred

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Only July 9th, an obituary ran in the local Richmond paper, The Times-Dispatch, that created quite a stir.  Its just a great obituary.  lol  Someone put the link to the obit in an email and thus it began the rounds of the internet.

The obit is for Frederick Arthur Clark.  Its eloquent, funny, honest and a real tribute to a real man.  This is the kinda obit I'd like to have!  
smile.gif

There is an online Guestbook you can sign.  Ol' Fred's guest book is now 117 PAGES...not postings...PAGES of kind wishes from all over the country and some out of the country.  He is getting quite the send off.

If you'd like to read Fred's interesting obit, here is the link.  And while you're at it, sign his guest book.  I'm sure he's hit a record for largest Guestbook.  
biggrin.gif
 If the family has not paid to keep it permanently, it will disappear at the end of 30 days.  I hope they keep it...its great!

http://www.legacy.com/TimesDispatch/DeathNotices.asp

Shoot....it won't let me link directly to his page. SO...in the middle of the Main Obit page you will see a calendar. Click on the day of July 9th. That will take you to the date that Fred's obit ran. Scroll down...he is the 5th obit down.

I would like to have partied with him.

biggrin.gif
I realy liked the obit. He is clearly very loved.

-signed

Yea...they made him sound like he was a character you wished you'd known. A very personal obit. Most of them are too stiff and formal. Maybe I should write my own obit.

a friend of my wife and I(generally the person who gets my wife in trouble) has a standing obit for herself for when she dies. other than her date of birth i have serious doubts about its authenticity
smile_n_32.gif

on a related note yesterday was my grandfathers funeral, my brother and i along with 6 cousins were the pall bearers(grandpa was a BIG guy). after we loaded the coffin in the hearse and loaded up in the suburban to lead the funeral procesion one of my cousins piped up "This just aint right, we need to make a stop off at Harry's first to send grandpa off right" all of us burst into laughter and agreed. and had we actually had the body with us and didnt fear the wrath of our uncles who were quite protective of grandma and keeping ppl from upsetting her further we might have attempted it. Harry's is a bar bout 10 miles out of town half way to grandpa's farm. all of us grew up going there. if you went out to the farm for the weekend, grandpa took yah out for lunch at Harry's to have burgers and fries while he had a few beers. grandpa would have loved us sending him off like that............grandma prolly would have whipped us but down the road im sure she would have seen our point of view and agreed
smile_n_32.gif

Yup...now that's the way to do it! I think things like that really honor WHO the person was. I think your grandfather would have loved that.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather passing though.
smile_h_32.gif

Condolences to you and your family.

thanks PAK, it went as well as a funeral can go. its been 100 degrees or so and dry for weeks. as the preacher finished his sermon a loud crash of thunder rolled and it started to rain, everyone jumped looked at each other and smiled all thinking the exact same thing, grandpa wanted the darn funeral to be over with. it was actually a pretty good day. almost everyone was back, just a handful of cousins couldnt make it back on short notice and everyone got caught up with each other with grandma running around making sure everyone had enough to eat and visiting. it was a good day.

Back