What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia in Southern Oregon Siskiyou Mountains

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
A lot of these pics were taken in the rain, figures the day before we got there it was sunny with temps in the 90s. A soggy camping trip, but well worth it. Amazing the diversity of these plants. I saw them growing on rocky hillsides, in gravel that looked dry on the surface, clinging to rocks in the middle of streams, in bog-like conditions, in thick moss, and even growing in ditches along the side of the road. Videos at the end, click on images.

Hubby cooking breakfast while I took a hike
IMG_2305.jpg
[/IMG]

Trying to wait out the rain, but gave up and got wet
IMG_2391.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2386dt.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2325.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2465x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2370.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2341.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2537dt.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2356.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2532x1.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't know what these pretty flowers are, but they were growing almost everywhere the Darlingtonia were
IMG_2406x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2403x1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2523x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2536.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2374.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2528.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2458.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2362.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2457.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2456x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2440.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2438.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2439x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2443x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2409.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2408.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2432.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2379.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2375.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2357.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2313.jpg
[/IMG]

Notice the ant
IMG_2330.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2433x1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2316.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2319.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2335.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2338.jpg
[/IMG]

Some local wildlife
IMG_2516.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2511x1.jpg
[/IMG]

Click on images
Darlingtonia%20in%20the%20wild
[/URL][/IMG]

Darlingtonia%20in%20the%20wild
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Very nice!! I love cobra lilies! :grin: thanks for sharing!

Great pics DJ ! My favorite in situ cp pics are always those of dense fields of Sarracenia and Darlingtonia. I think those orange flowers are Western Lilies (Lilium occidentale). They grow in the same wet habitats as Darlingtonia and Drosera.

Incredible pictures, especially the field of Darlingtonias!

wish I could have went with you, can you pm me the location so I can check I out next time im down south,

Amazing pictures! I've seen that western lily before, but sadly there were no Cps nearby after 4 miles of hiking :cry: .

ya that was deffinatly a western lillies.:boogie: I like to grow those with my sarrs for contrast in foliage and the flowers help make all the minute pitcher colors pop out. They are very resilient and propigate readily. Great addition to bogs if you have an area that is on the drier side. They don't care to much for their roots to be constantly soaking wet.

Those are spectacular, DJ! :banana2: So many snakes in the grass. The videos are lots of fun, too.

Thats terrific, what fun you must have had, DJ! Thanks for the photos.

Paul

:-D Thank you all for your comments and glad you liked the pics. I took like hundreds of pics and feel like I hiked the same amount of miles, LOL. Truly resilient and amazing plants to see in their natural habitat.

stunning pics some of those are huge

DJ, you went at a pretty good time. when thez and I went, all the pitchers were still developing their first traps...no fully developed ones in shape or coloration. must have been a great treat! did you get to see tidbits of drosera and pinguicula while you were at that?

Amazing feast for the eyes & dreams of future travel locations. :hail:

DJ, you went at a pretty good time. when thez and I went, all the pitchers were still developing their first traps...no fully developed ones in shape or coloration. must have been a great treat! did you get to see tidbits of drosera and pinguicula while you were at that?

Last year I went when they were all flowering, what a sight that was. This year I planned it so I could see them with new pitchers fully formed. Next year I want to get pics of them with snow on the ground.

I don't think there are any pings or drosera in these areas, I looked very hard and did not find any. I have heard you can find them along with Darlingtonia in Northern California sites though, don't know what the difference is because we were close to the California boarder in the same mountain range...probably looking in the wrong places or just missed them.

Back