What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Country...

Hey all,
I recently returned from the Gasquet area of northern California where I spent a whole day in search of Darlingtonia californica, Pinguicula macroceras, and Drosera rotundifolia. I ended up visiting five different locations which were all great and had large amounts of Darlingtonia californica at four sites, with Pinguicula macroceras at two, and Drosera rotundifolia at one. To see the pictures follow the link below, and they are in the subalbums to your left.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/s...onia%20Country/

Site 1...

This was the first stop of the day and I was amazed at what a large quantity of Darlingtonia was growing there, there had to be close to 200 Darlingtonia plants at this site which was the only CP present. Several Darlingtonia had vivid coloration but most only were moderately colored, fortunately this site is a state trail which is dedicated to rasing awareness of the genus Darlingtonia and provides a trail guide which explains how a Darlingtonia traps insects and also why it is unique to serpentine seeps.

Site 2...

This site I discovered by accident as I happend to notice several Darlingtonia plants growing about a hundred feet up a 70 degree rock wall in the running water of a waterfall. So I ended up climbing up the rockwall which had very few sturdy handholds except for a couple small pine trees to get a better look at the Darlingtonia... When I finally reached the Darlingtonia I noticed one of the clumps had stunning coloration while the other was mostly green, in the process of removing my camera from my bag I somehow manage to drop my lenscap in the waterfall never to be seen again.

Site 3...

This was the site where I was able to see Darlingtonia, Pinguicula macroceras, and Drosera rotundifolia all growing together. Most of the Darlingtonia had deep red coloration though some that were growing amongst the tall grasses and in had less coloration. There were a lot of Darlingtonia at this site, perhaps more than at the first. The Pinguicula macroceras were growing in a small seep of water in the middle of the site, there were approximatley 50 present at this site. And for the Drosera rotundifolia they were found growing in the dryer areas of the bog in large clumps, amongst the Darlingtonia, their coloration varied from a deep red to a light green.

Site 4...

This site had approximately 50 Darlingtonia, which was the only CP present. The Darlingtonia were growing on both sides of a popular hiking trail in a small water seep. The plants at this location were growing mainly in filtered light and did not have as stunning coloration as some of the other sites, but were still a pleasure to photograph. There were several seedlings of Darlingtonia growing nearly vertical on a patch of moss and had great coloration that really caught my eye.

Site 5...

This was my favorite site of all! It was a large rock wall almost completly covered with Darlingtonia and Pinguicula macroceras! The Darlingtonia had some of the best coloration of all the plants I have seen today, and the Pinguicula macroceras was literally all over the wall which was essentially a large water seep. Some specimens of Pinguicula macroceras were hanging onto grass blades that was drooping over a ledge and had water running down them, which I thought was one of the coolest things I saw that day. Several Darlingtonia specimens were growing on vertical rock faces only growing in a crack in the rock!

Unfortunatley that was the last site I was able to see that day as it was getting late, if you are interested in more pictures let me know and ill upload some more.

I hope all of you enjoyed the pictures and found this report helpful.

Max

I enjoyed your pics and commentary. Thank you! Interesting that they are so close to the road. Before my CP days, I had probably driven by tons of cp's and never knew it.

excellent! please do upload all of your pictures! i really need to pay a visit to some Darlingtonia bogs...

Thanks Nightsky and Frankie,

Frankie: I uploaded some more and more are on there way.

Back