What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia californica

glider14

Always a newbie
ok i might just get a Darlingtonia Californica(cobra lily) and i was wondering since i am a beginner how hard it is to grow them rate them 1-10, 10 being hardest

Totally depends on your medium and watering and location I think. If it's indoors, is planted in LFS, and is watered very frequently (maybe in a self-watering pot as well), I would say it's a 2 or 3.

thanks

1 for me. dont even water mine as it's in a stream.

Hi Glider! I'm sort of a beginner too (I just started growing CPs this year). I'd rate Cobra Lily a 3 even though I don't have it anymore. It was doing very well and producing many of its "pitchers" until I went on a trip and didn't have it watered. I think with you growing other CPs, it shouldn't be too hard to grow Cobra Lily.

My growing experience would be like this.
Outside in PA full sun all day - 10 (Killed 2 when trying to grow them outside)
Inside - 1

Welcome to the forums, glider. I'm raising D. californica from seed, and would rate it as a 1. They're rock-solid, even in poor light conditions. D. californica are supposedly easier to grow from seed than from nursery plants; some people have difficulty with them.
~Joe

Mine were growing like crazy until I repotted them in a taller pot (thus a lower water table) and they've suffered ever since. I don't know if they're just going into dormancy (temperatures and such haven't changed, but they might just 'know' it's the season), but it seems to indicate the wetter the better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 30 2005,7:36)]1 for me. dont even water mine as it's in a stream.
Tempting.... so tempting!
smile_o_32.gif

Check this topic out for grins, chuckles, and maybe a bit of education:

A Cobra Lily is your friend

Seriously, I found a decent plant to beign with, this time, and am having success by placing its pot in a vase. I top-water it every day, enough to wet the soil and empty the water when the pot is submerged in water. I kept at the lab in which I work, at a window sill. When the daytime temps were finally cooled enough to be that of the outside, I took it home and placed outside, easing into dormancy. That has worked well for me. No more streams!

In live sphagnum moss, in a pale pot, with a high water table: 1. Even in 35C heat.

Ditto. Pale pot, LFS only, chilled distilled water, indoors, a 1.

Bought in a 4" Lowe's cube in May, now crowded in a 7" pot, vigorously pitchering, and sending out runners to the edges of the pot. In spring I'll repot it into a larger pot and separate the runners. But I'll try to keep pot depth fairly consistent to help maintain the water table at a comfortable level. I may try one indoors and one outdoors next year just to see how they do comparatively.

I give it a 3.

Indoors, 4" under 80W cool fluorescent lights, 14h photoperiod, 60-85F, 60-85% humidity, white pot with 1:1 peat:perlite, tepid water 1/2 way to top.

Quick question, do Cobra Lily's go dormant? I have one growing outside and I am wondering if I should treat it like a VFT or just leave it out there since I live in an area where Sarr's grow in the dirt year-round.

-Rail

Yes, they go dormant.

If you grow in an area sarracenias do, why do you treat your VFTs differently?

I CAN LEAVE THEM OUT!?!?!?!?  OMG are you sure?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Oct. 31 2005,6:48)]I CAN LEAVE THEM OUT!?!?!?!? OMG are you sure?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

-Rail
Sure can.
Like I posted earlier that I grow mine inside. It stays inside up to fall. Then I move the plant outside with the sarr's and VFT's so it can get ready to take it's winter nap. I leave all the plants outside till the temps get to the freezing point. Then I move them into my unheated garage till temps warm up in spring.

WOW, I had no idea, and here I was worrying about what to do since they are begining to go dormant. Nice to know that I don't have to worry.

-Rail

I just got a Cobra Lily from Home Depot today. Should I put it through dormancy or skip it this year?

I also got one of mine smaller ones from HD. I let it skip dormancy the first year and it did fine.

Back