What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dang cats!

Ahh! Life is grand! Except for feral cats. They have invaded the neighborhood, and love to drink the water out of the sarracenia tubs. I caught one at it just this morning. Knocked over a VFT pot in its water tray while trying to get away from a shouting MADMAN!! The madman looked a lot like me!!!!!!! Anyone with a Venus Cat Trap get in touch with me. My bow will be the next thing I will try----maybe not. Havahart live capture traps may be a better answer.

Ugh... I always cringe when I see thread topics like this. I guess it could've been worst, and the feral beast could have eaten the plant. Was the vft damaged at all?

xvart.

Im sorry to hear about your problems with cats.
Was the VFT get damaged?
You dont need a Venus cat trap.
Just connect a car battery to the soil and it will only drink of it ones ;) :devil:

He already knocked the pot over twice before, and I thought it had to be raccoons, but they would have done more damage. When I caught the little creep creeping among the tubs trying to keep his feet dry, I knew then the raccoons could not climb up on the tables. I put the fear of madmen into him with a rock following his retreating butt! I missed. Later today, on the side of the house, hiding in the lantana, there he was!!!! I didn't miss this time. He left the yard------FAST!! I see him again, I won't be so nice as to just scare him off.

i have a venus dog trap. everytime i let me dog out of the patio, he tries to eat the vfts.

I haven't put my CPs outside yet, but what will the squirrels do? They can move my moms plants around pretty good, occasionally I'll find some plants in the opposite side of the yard.

Anyone with a Venus Cat Trap get in touch with me.
Hey Bugweed, check with Ozzy. If I recall correctly, he had a problem with some of his larger plants and the neighborhood pets a couple years ago. ;) He may still have a few plants he could give you.

Its funny.. I never have any problems with the neighborhood cats at all. Sometimes they drink from the water trays but that is all. Now my OWN cat... well that is another story :censor:

You know we have tons of squirrels but they never bothered my plants. Only one occasion and that was a newly potted Sarracenia. Weird. They must like me.

I used to keep my outside plants under a hamster cage... not the plastic enclosures but a literal cage with bars. maybe more like a bird cage

Plenty of sun still gets in and no raccoons, squirrels, or cats can get to 'em

What about the hamster(s)?

ha.. no hamsters were harmed in the utilization of said hamster cage.

I never actually had hamsters. The cage was just some old junk left behind by the previous owners of the house

I used to keep my outside plants under a hamster cage... not the plastic enclosures but a literal cage with bars. maybe more like a bird cage

Plenty of sun still gets in and no raccoons, squirrels, or cats can get to 'em

Unless of course you accidentally put the cage over the plants while a critter is in there! Then you have some real problems.

xvart.

hahahaha I had a planter outside with flower bulbs planted in it. Until the spikes filled the pot, the neighborhood cats were using it as a toilet. I had to build a chicken-wire cage around it to keep them out. Stupid cats.

Back