What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged Shipment Of 13 Red Dragons, Will They Survive??

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Damaged Shipment 13 Red Dragons, Will They Survive?? PICS ADDED!!

:-( Well today i got a shiped damged box of young baby Red Dragons, the post office recorded it as damaged box/shipment for me in advace incase i need it, anyways upon looking at the box 2 sides were damaged and was hoping upon opening it up all young RD's would be ok, opening the box we saw dirt everywhere and just dreded going further, opening up the bubble wrap we found all the young RD's piled in a corner of peatmix that obviousley came outa the growing seed cells they were in, they were very limp and damaged pretty good, i quickly seperated them all and carefuly sat them in some distilled water in a bowl to soak while i got there new pots and CP mix ready, durring each transplant i carefuly inspected there roots and bulbs and the bulbs look ok except one, but you can tell roots were ripped off, as i also found there roots in the peatmix pile they were all in. I trimed all dead/ broken leafs/traps, I also sprayed them down with a gentle spray of room temp distilled water after potting up to help clean them off, and under low lights at this time of destressing, I will be posting pics ASAP of them all.

My question is how resilient are Red Dragons when going thru such stress and damage?????

I know im in for atleast a month or more for them to make a come back if they survive this ordeal.:-(

Am getting in contact with the person we got them from and letting them know what happend also letting them know how to pack the right way for any futher transactions/shipping..

If the seller will refund your money or replace them I'd go that route.

Otherwise if the rhizomes are still firm and unshriveled with some some roots intact they'll most likely recover.

If any of the plants have lost all its roots you might consider pulling it apart to try to start some pullings.

I'd take the broken leaves and root bits and rinse them off and try for pullings either floating in water or on media.

I was under the impression that root cuttings didn't work with dionaea.

Can it be done?

Leaf pullings work best. Otherwise what's there to lose other than a cup of water or a pot of media that can be reused. You might just get lucky.

nope, I dont think root cuttings work at all, you need some of the rhizome to stand any chance at all

But I agree...what's to lose?

Thanks NaN!! Well now that there all cleaned up and destressing in there new pots i snapped some pics there not to bad looking but ya never know from the stress they went thru :-( there not limp anymore like they were. I took the best pics i could of most of them and will post just as soon as i get the pics resized and onto photobucket, im on stupid slooooooow dial up :censor: , so its gona take me a few to get that done im working on it now. I should have pics up within the next hr or so. There color looks good but its gona be a wait and see thing plus i know alot of the traps/leafs left will turn black from all this and the damage.

Quote..
I'd take the broken leaves and root bits and rinse them off and try for pullings either floating in water or on media.

I was thinking the exact same thing NaN..

ok here they are, first pic is right after i seperated them as good as i could taking them outa the box, i still had to carefuly seperate some that were all bunched up in the peatmix, they were not grown that way. They were grown in individual seed cells.
DSCF2854.jpg

and then potted up, ran outa pots had to use plastic cups.:blush:
DSCF2860.jpg

i got a total of 13 outa that mess in the box they came in.
DSCF2864.jpg

closer view. Dont mind the tray its just something i use to carry alota pots from one place to another..
DSCF2870.jpg

DSCF2871.jpg

DSCF2872.jpg

DSCF2873.jpg

DSCF2874.jpg

DSCF2875.jpg

DSCF2876.jpg

Sorry bout the crappy pics..???

So what do you all think, they look ok or is it a waiting game and wont know the outcome till after a few weeks??

Those don't look bad at all. I bet all of them survive if you're gentle with them for a couple of weeks and give them time to recover. Then just start growing them like healthy VFTs...lots of sun and clean water.

Agreed, those look actually pretty good considering the wreckage... I dont see any that really look dismal... and the thing is most dismal vft's so long as the rhizome is healthy recover as well... so yours should be more than fine...

could be a bonus...if you've got those stray leaves and go for pullings I'm sure you'll have some take and then you'll actually be up a couple plants :)

they look fine to me... I'd just kinda baby them for a while until they get some new growth. You know, higher humidity, lots of light, and good purified water and then if and when your plants perk up you can slowly acclimate them to more outdoorsy conditions. I'm still a bit new to this so if i'm wrong feel free to correct me :-D

Thanks mmlr38, cmm889...
That makes me feel alittle better about the whole situation, the box looked like someone kicked it, then inside the way the VFTs were all jumbled up in a wad of peatmix it looked awful, was like someone took all the VFTs outa there cell pack and wadded um up like a snowball and tossed um into the bottom corner of the box, like someone had shaken the box real bad, it clearly stated on the box "THIS SIDE UP" But it was the way the VFTs were packed is the reason why they all fell outa there peatmix cells, Insted of just wraping the cells in bubble wrap like they did, they should have used tap/paper toweld across the peatmix around the VFT in each cell then something place ontop of the whole cell pack to stop them from being crushed/dumped out, or bagged individualy. Most the traps have peatmix inside the closed traps and ALOT of the traps were rolled like a toilet tube and the leafy part twisted and or snaped in half, alot of the new traps developing had snaped off completely durring the whole shook up mess. Im just thankfull there still alive.. :hail: :hail: One of them also has a baby growing i didnt seperate them due to the stress already so that makes a total of 14 RD's, when GP_Princess and I only orderd 10..
:banana2:

Thats the plan Flytrapdude92, baby um/pamper um till there totaly destressed and growing well then slowly aclamate them to sun then to full sun..

No problem barracuda!

really though they'll bounce back super quick no problem.
I just recently repotted and seperated out some seedlings I had growing from a couple leaf pullings... and turns out the rhizome was just running sideways and producing a ton of smaller plants, I had 15 small vft's from just two leaves... eitherway though they were in a peat mix and by the time I seperated them and then repotted them most of their traps were closed with either peat or perlite or something that wasn't food... they rebounded really quickly and I may have lost maybe one or two traps and leaves out of the massive repot and not a single plant...

your rhizomes are bigger... you should be safer even... :)

Update, well there all hanging in there, you can now tell which leafs/traps got damaged durring the whole mess, they are turning black, but good thing is they all perked right up and are showing signs of growing even with what they just went thru.. I will snap some more pics of them in few days..

vfts are a lot tougher than they are given credit for. They look pretty great compared to some plants I got in the past. :p

Hey how are those red dragons doing? Any pics you could put on since the last ones you took because i've been kinda curious how they'd end up.:-D

Hey Flytrapdude92, i will get some pics of them tomarrow and get um posted right away. They have lost alot of leafs/traps and some color due to what they went thru BUT they are growing so hopefully they make a real good comeback. None so far have died..

I've received worse, with severed leaves. Like making lemondae from lemons, make new plants from severed leaves. Yours will do fine.

Back