What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. schizandra 'Andromeda' not looking great

Hi all, I'm pretty experienced with Drosera but this one has me puzzled. I receiving a young "Andromeda" from a friend so I quickly put it in some peat and in my terrarium. High intensity LEDs, 90%+ RH, and around 78-80 degrees. The color wasn't looking too good and the existing leaves weren't producing dew yet it was starting to slowly grow new leaves so I thought maybe it preferred cooler temps. I took it out and put it in a humidity dome where the room temp is around 66-70 or so but it's looking the same. Any clues?

jJHgFHpm.jpg

sTovwDjm.jpg

h32p0gVm.jpg

IME sisters of queensland prefer sphag based media and lower light levels

Some of the Andromeda crosses really do not like strong light, although that one looks more like prolifera than schizandra. Maybe try less light and see how it reacts.

Thanks for the input. I'll move it out of the light first and repot to LFS if it doesn't improve!

"Andromeda" is a hybrid and not schizandra; it is also a name currently stuck to several very different looking plants, but all will take basically the same conditions that the parents do: first off, GET RID OF THE PEAT!! D. adelae sometimes tolerates peat mixes but the other two Queensland sisters really do not, schizandra especially liking sphagnum and even more so live sphagnum. They can take higher light than most think but relatively shady conditions and temperatures ranging in the low to mid 70's F are best.

Second hcarlton. I have my #4 cross growing next to D. cistiflora and other cool temp s. africans and it's thriving. definitely have kept it in cool temps and on the edge of the light, and they're still bronzing up.

in the wild schizandra's temps are pretty low, being in a cool rainforest. definitely a drop into the 60s at night seems to be beneficial.

several strains of andromeda exist. do you have the cross number?

As others have said: lower light levels are necessary.

I have found that none of the "three sisters" Drosera will grow happily and produce dew if they are directly underneath the light. They prefer shade or two be off to the side or in otherwise weaker lights than any other Drosera I can think of.

Back