What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madagascariensis

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Ya know how this species will have that "death warmed over" look, from soil tp part of the stem and look perfectly fine at the end? Would the perfectly fine part send out roots and become independent if one were to have it rest on the soil? Do people just drape them over the sides, like a spider plant?

IMG_0079.jpg

i cut mine back every so often and let them come back from the roots......find this species to be about like capensis in its hardiness....bout as impossible to kill so the chop back seems to be the best solution ive found....plus it usually forces several other growth points to come up :grin:

Can you cut off the good part and successfully plant it?

I have seen some pics with a dowel in the soil beside the plant to hold it upright. This is what I'll do not time I cut them, which will be when they are done flowering. The plants are laying on the ground and about 8-10" long.
I have tried rooting the tops after cutting them. They stay green for months, but never rooted for me and eventually died.

I have successfully chopped the top off of d. madagascariensis and they rooted and thrived. Took a little while but it worked. I've also done leaf cuttings with these with no trouble. Tough plant - they are like D. capensis in that regard.

Capslock

Thanks for the info. This is one of my oldest, if not the oldest species, 3.5 years old. Had it flower once, but didn't produce seeds.

Back