What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. gigantea

I have a bunch of D. gigantea seeds I received in trade...I've always wanted to grow this species and it seems I actually have enough to experiment with!

Right now is probably not the best time to sow them, of course. What would you guys do? How am I to stratify these, when, etc.

Anybody grow this species?

They are tuberous right? I would give them cool temps and high humidity then.

Seeds might benefit from scarification . Or perhaps GA treatment.

I grow this species.
Personally, I would so them whenever.
For stratification put them on a sandy peat mix, bagged up, in warm LL conditions for 30 days. At which time you can move them into the cool HL conditions they're used to. Should start seeing germination after another 30 days.

D. gigantea is supposed to be one of the easier tuberous to grow from seed.

Refer to Aaron's site for germination tips. Normally they need at least 30 days of hot/warm stratification. Smoke, scarification or GA3 treatment might get around this. Best time to sow in the Northern Hemisphere is August. The seeds can take 4 weeks to several years to germinate (so don't throw anything out if no results).

You want to give them as long of a growing season (fall/winter) as you can. It is vital to grow the tubers are large as possible before dormancy. The larger the tuber the better the chance of survival. To this end the plants need to be very well fed. The dormancy habit is so hardwired into most of the winter growing Drosera that it is next to impossible to prevent dormancy (refer to Stewart McPherson's Carnivorous Plants and Their Habitats Vol.2).

I would treat some with GA3 and sow them now and save some to start next summer.

Thank you all for the information!

Back