What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii or hybrid?

Cindy

Staff member
I've got these links for references
1. http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....9;st=20
2. http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/D_burmannii.html
3. http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....lifolia
4. http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....rmannii

Plant A
This plant was given to me as D. sessilifolia but because of its more blunt leaf edge, it should be D. burmannii. But I know for a fact that my flower stalks do not curve outward from the base of the plants. Then they cannot be D. burmannii...

sessnatural.jpg

sessilifoliaflowerslq.jpg

Flower is light pink. Stigmas not unfurled yet. I will try to get a better photo.
burmanniiflower1rs.jpg

Plant B
This plant was given to me as D. burmannii 'red giant'. It was red when it came but lost some of its redness when I grew it under lights. It turned green when I repotted it into LFS. I checked today and none of the flower stalks curve outwards.

burmanii180306lq.jpg

Almost white but when the flower is closed the petals look slightly pink.
burmanniiredflower4rs.jpg

burmanniiredflower1rs.jpg

burmanniiredfanrs.jpg

I am sending out hundreds of seeds and hope to get a confirmation. Otherwise, how should I label it?  
smile_h_32.gif

Hi Cindy!  Don't know I am a guru but I have grown many examples of D. burmannii and several forms of D. sessilifolia.
You are not going to like my answer though!

After growing both forms, sharing the seed of D. sessilifolia I noticed when reviewing the plants grown from that seed that it did not really conform to the original parent plant in form, and demonstrated intermediate features of both. The flower photo's of your plant also seem indeterminate. The styles are not as fan shaped as i would expect from a pure D. sessilifolia, and the floral color too light.  

These species are very closely related, and able to cross pollinate.  I believe this event happened in my collection, and so I assume it is also happening in other collections as well.

Because they are so close in form, my feelings are that unless active steps were taken to prevent fertilization, that NO cultivated plants can ever reliably be assumed to be D. sessilifolia, esp. if the flower color is not pink, when both are found in the same collection.

Smaller rossetted drosera deep red in color with a pink flower are more likely to be D. sessilifolia.  I have not heard of a white flowered form of this species in circulation, and would be suspicious if I did see it unless it had collection data.

With this state of affairs, I would be reluctant to lable any seed grown plant as D. sessilifolia unless it was grown from wild collected seed.

As for redistributing it and what lable to use I can offer no suggestion.  I don't think it matters much at this stage since all 3 forms are circulating and no one is ever going to be certain threy have the true D. sessilifolia past the f2 generation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You are not going to like my answer though!

Why not? In fact, I am most thankful for your answer. It is now clear to me there is low (mostly no) likelyhood that the plants in my collection could be D. sessilifolia.

As for labelling, I suppose it should be fine to just put it as D. burmannii? Or should it be D. burmannii hybrid?

I don't know how to advise. My gut level feeling is that this may be a hybrid. The form of the plant reminds me of D sessilifolia - at least some of them do, and the flowers also somewhat. The name I have seen for the hybrid is Drosera x thelocalyx. I could very well be wrong though, even from native seed the distinctions don't leap out and smack you in the face.

I see. I thought as much it may be a hybrid which is why I got so confused.
laugh.gif
The features are neither this nor that! Thanks, I'll send the seeds as 'possibly a hybrid'.

Back