What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cyathea medullaris: Black Tree Fern

To be honest, this is a bit premature. I have a ton of these guys, however, and they will likely be ready for trade in a couple months or so.

Cyathea medullaris, the "Black Tree Fern" is perhaps the tallest of the genus (up to 20 m, 66 ft. !!) and also one of the most beautiful.

Spores are from the American Fern Society Spore Exchange, and frankly they are pretty easy. Sown December 2014.

I'll post updates as to their progress and size--they are fast growers.

I am mainly looking for Nepenthes I can grow outside here, in basically a cool, frost-free climate. I'll have a ton of these Cyatheas, so I'll probably have a giveaway or two once they get a little bigger.

Here's what they look like June 25, 2015:

Nice little plants Randy, but are you sure you want to keep Neps? You often lament the lack of sun in your growing area. Do you want to start experiencing a lack of space as well?:-D

I definitely have a lack of space already. The tree ferns are just for fun, as I certainly don't have room for one of those. But spores were 50 cents, when I got Platycerium spores. And now I have >100. The ability to go "up" is a big advantage, and mounted or hanging plants have that (Platyceriums, Nepenthes, etc).

Do u happen to have a picture of an adult? If not it's fine I'll look on google or whatnot. Might be something fun and new for the kids and me to care for, but not sure id have anything of interests nepenthes wise to spare or that you'd like :)
But goodluck to everyone and their trading :)

Possibly this is Cyathea medullaris???

I took this photo a couple weeks ago at the SFBG, and couldn't find a tag. I looked it up, and it's not on their list for where they grow the plant. Those lists are pretty inaccurate, though.

Wow that's beautiful! Ive always liked the look of ferns, thats deff huge! Thanks for the picture

Here's a photo of a fern which is definitely Cyathea medullaris. This guy is tall, and the trunk is incredibly thick. This is growing in a private garden in SF.

It's definitely different, so I got it wrong the first time.

And here's how fast the little guys are growing, over 19 days.

Last edited:
Back