What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious mayhaps?

Christopher

Fancier of The Insectivorous Plant
So, I walked into my kitchen a few minutes ago and I counted at least 8 flies buzzing around! I have my nepenthes in the kitchen and it's been there for a week now. The flies all seem concentrated around the nepenthes and I noticed these little tiny droplets all over the plant that these flies are sucking up.

It seems, however, that these flies aren't going anywhere near the pitchers! lol

I'm just curious if anyone else has observed this with their nepenthes.

It's pretty neat; I've never seen so many flies in the house before and it can't be coincidence that they're all concentrated in the kitchen where my nepenthes is! ;)

It may just be a matter if time. If the flies are sucking up the nectar from the rest of the plant, they'll eventually find the pitchers - have you looked inside any of the pitchers for bodies?

I did. :) Nothing inside yet. Hehe.

It may sound a bit morose, but I anxiously await their fall into the pitchers. :rolleyes:

Lol, I think the REAL problem here isn't that they are ignoring the Nepenthes, but that you have flies in your kitchen lmao.

lmao!

I know...my mom was like, "If that plant doesn't eat those dirty things soon, it's going downstairs outside!"

lol

Hmm...we shall see. ;)

lol Geebus!

We're up to 11 flies now in the kitchen and no captures! Hmm, I may have to put my nepenthes outside. :rolleyes:

lmao!
that's really strange because the prey for my neps usually go straight to the pitcher, but then again most of the prey has been wasps and yellow jackets.

Oh, I really don't want to see any wasps or yellow jackets in the house. The nepenthes will definitely go outside at that point.

lol

Good news: One of the pitchers caught a fly! :) Only 10 more to go! lmao

You can grow some VERY nice plants easily in san fran dude. Not me :( I'm stuck in hell I mean Georgia.

Don't rely on bugs for your plants, they are n-a-s-t-y anyway :) I use fertilizer.

Yea, I used to grow VFTs downstairs on my patio for a few years when I was a kid. The weather in nice enough here in the city and my VFTs survived a while. I wish I knew the importance of dormancy back then; they started dying off after a couple years and I couldn't understand why. Now I know. lol

I just recently got interested in doing it all over. It's an awesome diversion. What kind of fertilizer do you use for your nepenthes or other plants?

I know next to nothing about Georgia, but I'm sure I'd like to visit one day. I got "road trip" written on the list of things to do in the next few years. :D

I use Orchid fertilizers like Schultz. To be honest I just dump some in lmao. It probably turns out to me 1/4 strength.

Georgia is nice as long as you don't stray too far from the cities. Stay away from the Deliverance types in the deep country and you'll be fine.....dun dun dun.....

i use Better-Gro Orchid Plus(i think thats what it is...) diluted to about 1/4 it works really well!
Alex

yeah, i use schultz and it works pretty well.

JLAP Georgia can't be that bad!!!
North FL is probably just like the non rural areas of Georgia.

Christopher, JLAP is right. you have the right climate to grow many cool CPs that I could only dream of growing.

Yes, that's what many say, Dave.

I guess I'm really lucky to be living here! I'm gonna try growing all types. I'm looking to add a cephalotus to my collection next! :)

cephs, nepenthes, sarracenia....heck you could grow just about anything!! may your collection grow!!!
Dave: you can grow them! just wait until your greenhouse :)
Alex

I won a bid on a 2-gallon aquarium on eBay for super cheap! It'll be coming any day now. I'll be purchasing some LED growth lights when I get my next check.

I was debating whether to use the tank to house a cephalotus or to transplant my bladderwort (u. sandersonii) into.

Hmm, decisions decisions! :)

personally, i'd use it fopr the ceph, but of course thats up to you

All I know is that I will be adding a ceph to my collection. ;) I've yet to make up my mind for what I'll do with the aquarium (terrarium)!

Last year all the pitchers of my ventrata half full of bees so just wait. That 2 gallon tank will fill up too quick. I filled a 10 gallon like that.

I think the problem with the flies(and correct me if I am wrong) is they like stinky stuff-not sweet nectar. If you feed some pitchers so they get a little stinky, the flies may try a closer look.

Cheers,

Joe

Back