What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp magazine?

• Thread starter jeffsz28
  • Start date
how come there isn't a cp magazine that shows pictures and talks about the plants..

There is one, it's called the CPN or Carnivorous Plants Newsletter. Unfortnately you can only get it by joining the ICPS International Carnivorous Plant Society, not at any retail news stands or bookshops.

I have often wanted an exotic plants (not just CPs) magazine to buy but there is nothing for us plant freaks, or freak plant freaks!
tounge.gif

I am an independent publisher by hobby/trade and about 1-2 years ago I was trying to get the publisher of Uner het Palmblad (translated: Under the Palm Blade - www.palmbald.nl) to publish his quarterly exotic plants/terrarium magazine in English (translated from Dutch). I offered to do all the press/distribution and retail services however he found the cost of US printing to be highly prohibitive in comparison to printing with Belgian companies. The only problem printing there is transport costs from Belgium to the US, unfortunately the English edition idea was scrapped altogether.

I encourage you to become an ICPS member, they publish a fine quarterly journal, as does the UK Cp society. I am working now at producing a "CP Cultivar Quarterly" who's focus will be publishing CP cultivar names, photos and descriptions to meet the International Congress of Botanical Nomenclature's (ICBN) prerequisite of publication in order to internationally register these cultivars. I can tell you such ventures are not inexpensive!

what would i do to become a member? thanks guys

Well it is not a paper published magazine but I have been trying to get the CP E-Zine going for a while. It is difficult to get articles and images sent in to put online. Please send what you can and invite your CP friends to do the same.
www.cpzine.com

cheers

I agree with Tamlin: once you get interested in CPs (and even if you're a beginner), it's worth joining at least one CP society. I'm a member of the following:

1. ICPS:
www.carnivorousplants.org

2. UK CPS (my "local" society):
www.thecarnivorousplantsociety.org

3. ACPS:
www.acps.org.au

I find all 3 are excellent, producing superb journals / magazines / newsletters, and providing access to excellent seedbanks, plus regional meetings, and can highly recommend all of them. There are many other excellent CP societies for various parts of the world (New Zealand, France, Germany, Netherlands, .... etc).

well i joined - i mainly just want to check out the newsletter and stuff. thanks

I get the following MS SQL Server error when I try to visit :
www.cpzine.com

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'
Login failed for user 'sa'.
/index.asp, line 13"

sad.gif

Hmmm, I am not receiving the SQL error, can someone else test for me to see if this was an isolated case or if it is a remote access problem.

thanks & cheers,

Using Mozilla 1.4 for Mac OS X:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'

/index.asp, line 13
--------------------

Using iCab 2.9 for Mac OS X:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
error '80040e4d'

/index.asp, line 13
---------------------

Using IE 5.2 for Mac OS X the page displays correctly.

My guess is that there is a line of code that prevents non Microsoft browsers from viewing the page.

Nick,

Thanks alot I will have to take a look see. I appreciate it.

Cheers

I have also checked the page in Apple's Safari Browser. Safari also produced the same error message.

Just for you information:

I use the Konqueror browser in KDE 2.2.1 (I'll be updating to SuSE Linux 8.2 next week with a much more recent version of KDE [3.1.1], so that may be ok! ) as my main web browser. I believe Apple's Safari browser is based on Konqueror / KDE (KHTML).

I'm pretty sure I've visited the CPZine site in the past with the same browser, with no probs (can't be 100% certain though).

http://www.cpzine.com/
works perfectly well for me using IE5.5.

But, when I use Netscape4.76 or Netscape7.01, I get the message:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'
/index.asp, line 13

Looks like Bill Gates and buddies don't like folks using non-microsoft products.

While I would love to blame the monster that is Microsoft, I cannot. It was a Pete error (changed db servers out and only modified the .aspx side of the code - for IE Browsers and forgot to change things on the other side). Things should work for more folks now.

Thanks to everyone who let me know where it did and did not work - pointed me to the problem.

Cheers

Yup, it's working just fine now (on Konqueror browser on KDE 2.2.1 in Linux) - thanks for the fix! Nice website by the way...  
biggrin.gif

I think that the reason we are quick to blame Microsoft is that they have done similar things in the past. I remember going to many websites that should have been easily accessed via any web browser but required a Microsoft Browser using a flavor of Windows. Guess those things still poke at us from time-to-time.

Back