What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College kids

I assume some of you guys are getting ready to regester for next semester/quarter or what ever? What classes did you guys get?

I have a fairly easy schedual, though I couldnt get english cause all the classes were filled.

Intro Phcyology
Photography 1
Statistics
3D Foundations
Intro Theater

I need to pick up the slack on allot of stuff from this semester though... I messed up real bad. Mostly because I was real pissed off at the school for giving me the wrong major...Supposed to be a photography major, they gave me some stupid Art history major.

Unless you need the right major to get into a particular class, what difference does the major make at this point? That's quite a combination of classes, by the way, and there can't be many people who have taken phycology, photography, statistics and theater in the same semester.

I'm one of the old college students here and the only class I'm taking next sememster is Practicum. That's quite a step down, word-wise, from one of this semerster's classes, which is called Environmental Ethics, Human Health and Public Policy. I'm pretty sure that's the wordiest class name I've ever had.

Lol I think I'll wait with the registration for now because I'm not sure I'll pass the classes I am taking right now... if I do, however, I'll take Organic Chem 2, Calculus 2 and Physics 2 (If i cant take phys in the winter)... and then its on to Immunology, Biochemistry, DNA Culture/Cloning, Parasitology and so on. Hehe, I hope...

I just registered for the second semester of my fifth and final year, so I only needed 9 total credit hours to fulfill requirements, but needed 12 to be a full time student, so I had to take some BS course. I'm taking...

Semantics in German Literature
Corporate Taxation
Business Ethics
Geology 101, Our dynamic Earth

Right now I'm taking...

Legal Environment of Business
Financial Statement Auditing
Linguistic Perspectives of contemporary German
Great Ideas in Western Music
Foundations of Observational Astronomy

Fun semester.

Calculus 4-differential equations
Physics 1D-modern physics and optics
Chem 1A-general chemistry

and maybe advanced guitar if i have time

Organic Chem II + Lab
Plant Biology

And that's it. That's 10 units. If I take more, I'll have too many units to transfer as a Junior and I'll need to go through extra steps to transfer as a senior. I don't think there's any 1 unit UC transferable class that I want to take. I guess I can look at non-transferable classes that might be fun. Maybe welding or something... Something that wont take too much time.

Incredibly weird, I almost never take less than 15 units. :-\

I'm presently sort-of-tutoring a class called Computability and Language Theory. I'm not enrolled, so they won't pay me (arg) but next quarter I'll be enrolled for partial credit and then I'll really be a tutor. It's a 16 credit class (three different heavy-duty course sections in five different types of credit,) but I'm probably only going to do partial enrollment because I'm broke and I've already taken the full load before.
~Joe

i'm still confused about college, i'll be in college in the '09.
a major is like a tree with different class under it?
when you pass those class, you get a degree? or certificate?
you can only have one major? can you switch out of a major if you dont like it?

I only registered for four classes (forgot which ones).

I wanted to register for statistics but it says I don't meet the requirments for the class.

You choose a major based upon your interests, then take the required classes to earn a degree in that major.

You can have one major, or you can double major, or you can have a major and a minor. I've been toying with the idea of a double major in electrical and mechanical engineering. You can switch out of majors but it can be quite a hassle.

And don't worry, all colleges have counselors that will help you plan out your classes.

when they say that you shouldnt take more than 12 units, units is class that's in the major right? so you take like 12 class everyday for a semester? o_o

For us, classes are broken into 'credit hours,' which are a bit easier to explain. For each credit hour a class is worth, that is how many hours of class you will have a week. A normal schedule is around 15 hours, with 12 being the minimum for a full time student. An average class is 3 credit hours, therefore, that class meets 3 days a week for an hour each time. 15 hours of actually sitting in a classroom per week is not that much time, compared to high school, where you go all day. Classes more then make up for it in homework load though.

lol there's that much homework in college?

Sometimes.
Some classes have tons of homework, some have almost none.
Like English classes have TONS, low level chemistry had almost none, low level bio/physiology - no homework. Math - enough, Genetics and Microbiology too. Organic Chem - so much that it gets you buried underneath it.
That's my experience with college homework.

so, if i choose a major, for example,business.
my class wont be business, but instead, will be taking class like advertising, management, small business and stuff like that. those class are call units?

Units or credits are kinda like points... Usually classes are 3 credits. For example English = 3 credits, Bio = 4 credits. So if you take 4 of 3 credit classes or 3 of 4 credit classes you'll get 12 credits = full time student. Some classes are even 9 credits hehe :)
And yes, business major would include basic courses like English, math, psych, sociology, and so on, and then you get to take courses exactly in the business major like advertisement etc.

business major would include basic courses like English, math, psych, sociology, and so on, and then you get to take courses exactly in the business major like advertisement etc.

^-- isnt those things liberal arts?

When I took undergraduate organic chemistry I had no homework at all. There were suggested problems but nothing was ever graded. Over all, during undergrad. work I had little to no homework (Biochemistry major). Right now in my grad classes/work, I have yet to get any homework, and I have taken all the required classes.

what's undergraduate? class you take in college when you're in highschool?

undergraduate = class you take in college usually to get your first degree.
graduate = class you take after you have completed a degree in college/univer.

However you can take undergrad. classes as a high school student (I did thru highschool), as well you can take graduate classes as an undergrad. (Again, I did since it was a class I was highly interested in)

Back