What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra Lilly Watering

Remag

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my o
What is the best way to water cobra lily plants? Should I sit them in water or water them *** needed like Neps?

I do both -- placing the plants in several inches of water and also irrigating them from the top. The major issue with Darlingtonia is in the potential overheating of its roots and anything to prevent that is a boon . . .

for the overheating issue, i like to use large blocks of ice (freeze sandwich bags full of water). it cools down the rhizome, as well as provides a supply of running water as the ice melts.

I have mine in a planter and when not in somebody's garage or whatever for the winter, they are on my porch, direct sun, temps occasionally reaching the low 90's. They are watered from overhead.

I do a like a reverse dormancy compared to other temperate CP's. I put them out in bog when it cools down in autumn and bring them inside for the summer.

DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP (really need a smilie here!! :)
I try to get a drip going at one per second from a 2.5 distilled water jug filled with r/o water.
While I could capture the drain off I let it go to push up local humidity.
It works great.

Back