What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing careers

I have grown so tired of being a chef. I go to work at noon and I get off at midnight. I'm on my feet the entire night and my hand are covered with burns and cuts. I never get a weekend off (Saturday and Friday I'm there until 2 a.m.). Then I have to stay for on hour or two after my shift to have a few drinks (I mean they're free --what are ya gonna do) and to meet with customers who want to ask questions and "share recipes." Oh and I love the lawyer who comes up to me and says "You know I'm a little bit of a chef myself at home." Oh yeah, let me see your hands. And I've met so many ladies who always say "I've always wanted to marry a chef." Sorry ladies... You know those weekend getaways? Not gonna happen, those are my busiest days. When I come home I'm gonna smell of fish, onions, cumin, and garlic. Oh, and you actually think I'm gonna cook for you when I get home.
MY girlfriend --who works M-F 9-5-- and I really don't get to spend much time together. That and my stress level is begining to take a toll on our realationship and that's killing me.
I always prided myself on the fact that I was never the sterotypical chef. I never screamed at servers for no reason and I tried to understand that my cooks made mistakes sometimes. I'm not quite like that anymore.
I worked in animatronics for four years but then computer animation came along and knocked us all out of a job. Somehow I just fell into cooking and now it's six years later.

I guess I'm growing tired and blowing off some steam but I don't really know where to begin searching.

What are you interested in and what would you want to do and do you have the education that would be needed?  It's tough to get an education for a different field when you're already working such awful hours.  To go back to school, you'd probably have to find a different job first, with saner hours.  Probably making less money.  Changing careers usually involves sacrificing some time & money in the short term for a happier long term.

Sounds like you need to take a few days off and get away from the job. If they can't do without you, point out they have a choice of doing with out you for a few days or for a few months as you recover from a nervous breakdown
smile_n_32.gif
. Delegate stuff. Don't try to do it all yourself. That's what the rest of the staff is for.

Hope things calm down for you soon so you can get back to enjoying life.

Most people seem to take the serendipitous route and take what comes along or what is easiest at the time - and as you've seen - this rarely leads to long-term satisfaction.

Next would be the "Follow the money" route. A few years ago, home construction would fit this description. Now, nursing and oil field work look like profitable areas for the next several years (at least). Also in this area are the usual doctor, lawyer, engineer professions ....

Then comes "Follow your passion". In many cases, this means you do what you love but should probably not expect significant financial remuneration for your efforts (phys-ed teachers, arists of all types and park rangers tend to be examples here). In this category, even if you do not get rich, you love what you're doing so the money is not as important. In addition, we all have heard of a few who have followed their passion and make more money than they can ever spend (Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, Bruce Springsteen...).

Obviously this is a very personal decision. Keep looking 'outside' as you're now doing (talk to others, spend some time searching in your local library &/or Barnes & Noble, etc) but realize that ultimately, the decision must come from within. Also, do not underestimate the value that comes from investing time - both in the quest and in the education for a new vocation. This time, even if it is many years - is ultimately very rewarding.

thanks guys. Things have calmed down somewhat but still these hours are just killing me. I live in a wealthy area and am looking into to being a private chef. I enjoy what I do just not the night life. Guess I'm finally growing up.

You might get to use better equipment. Wealthy parts of CT seem to be full of houses having big kitchens full of Viking ranges and so on yet the owners grab some up-scale takeout on the way home. Go figure.

I hope it works out for you.

Back