What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephucopia (large images)

this clone displays beautiful coloration...

ceph_typicals.jpg

a definitely larger C. 'Hummer's Giant'

ceph_hg.jpg

Cheers'
Av

Wow, it is beautiful.

Damn! Thats .... WOW!! Holy God!

lol! needed to come back to see these again. Nice widescreen images. :D

The lips of that first batch are incredible.... Almost like "Eden Black" form.

The lips of that first batch are incredible.... Almost like "Eden Black" form.

That's what I was thinking... Very nice. I love the quality on those up-close images, very well done. Lovin' those cephs.

thanks for the kind words... I have to admit, I like the first pic the best

to me its an dramatic example of the power of genetics, both plants are in the exact same substrate, both sit right next to each other, get the same light spectra, the same watering, humidity, photoperiod etc.

the first plant is a smallish clone but very colorful (even when very young) and very robust, tough as nails... if i give the much larger HG the same feeding levels... it burns, which would seem counterintuitive given the larger size and greener color

maybe it's the higher levels of accessory pigments in the small clone...

but i dunno, something to ponder about
Av

I just woke up and was about to ask if your hummer was the same clone as mine heheheh

ahahahaha

Give me a break, My coffee hasn't started working :) What I WOULD like to know is how large are your pitchers (measuring at the front from the bottom to the front of the lid) because we got ours at the same time from the same man and the pitchers were the same size give or take a millimeter. I'd like to compare your hummers size to mine since mine's beet red yours is predominately green.

These plants are not hard to grow, I think. Easy peasy, lemon squeazy. People just go crazy with the water. Very nice plants!

Clint,

on average 2.25"... with some a touch larger and some a touch smaller...

currently I have all mine on reduced photoperiod for sleepy time, so mainly getting winter leaves now

where are yours at?

Av

Average 2 inches here. I guess I could get an extra quarter inch if I move it away from the light.... But is it worth not having the color is the question lol.

I'll take pics later. I'm using a 16 hour photo period.

FWIW, mine is approx 6" from the bulbs (7.5" if you go by the rim of the pot)

Av, are you using 4' fluorescents? 6500K color?

Here's the one I got when you got yours. I fertilize the pitchers twice a month half strength. Fill them each with a little syringe. Do you fertilize? If you say "no" I'll wonder if I'm wasting my time with that lol.
DSC03360.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

Wow! Both yours and Av's plants look sweet!
I have a few putting out nice size pitchers now, but do not have the color that yours have.
I have some of my bigger pitchered plants under a four tube four ft t12 fixture like 6 to 8 inches above the plants. Some color, but nothing like what I see here. I usually get results like that in the summer growing them outside. I think I need to change my lighting set up.
Can you tell me exactly what you are using.
Great job to both of you! They look very happy!
JMatt

I'm so flattered :) That means an extra lot coming from you!

I grow it directly under a 250 watt metal halide (conversion lamp if you want to split hairs) http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...rsal-metal-halide-conversion-bulb-p-1772.html

It says it requires a glass lens on the fixture with that lamp. I don't use one but I do cover my terrarium ( all but two, 18 inch long, 1 inch wide spaces) with acrylic.

Five sides (back, front, sides, and the bottom) of my terrarium are covered with mylar.

Bulbs a year old now if that matters. I haven't noticed a difference in growth a year ago compared to now.

I forgot how far away it is from the lamp. I can measure if you want.

I also fertilize them threw the pitchers with great results. An old wise man told me 1/4 strength balanced fertilizer like 20-20-20 once or twice a month is good. I'm sure lots of different water soluble fertilizers will work if you go at it easy!
JMatt

Ok, yea I do have a 400 watt High Pressure Sodium light. I haven't been using it because of the heat it puts out and I figured the electric bill would suck even worse than it already is.
JMatt

Jmatt, Mine have always been under T12's up till a week or so ago, Ive gone to T5's to see what they are capable of.... but its only been a week, it's too soon to see any diff from them and the T12's

Clint, I feed monthly... I trich on the 1st of the month and feed on the 15th, orchid food at 1 tsp per gallon directly into the pitchers

Thbjr, no i was using tri phosphor grolux and GE Chroma 50's.... trying some T5's (6500 and 3000k mix) now to see what if any improvement i can get with them, ive also got some german made 5000k's coming

and ditto on what clint said Jeff, coming from you that is really an honor mate

Av

Great looking cephs. Made me have to snap a few shots while I was watering today.

cephs-004.jpg

cephs-002.jpg

cephs-006.jpg

I do not use any fertilizer, but I feed the pitchers with very small mealworms from time to time.

wow! Av, Elgecko & JLP.....wonderful plants mate. :D Fantastic color. :D

Back