What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus utopia

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Oh take me out to the greenhouse... take me out to the greenhouse... holy crap there is a bunch of tissue cultured Cephs!

cephlandpf9.jpg

YIKES!

THAT IS AWESOME! I wish I could be there and bask in the Cephalotus awesomeness, Cephalotus is awesome!

Now to only find out where I can buy one of those babies for $2.00. I actually want to count how many are in that picture...

Others from the same greenhouse:

http://www.dehaan.net/cp/carniflora2003/images/IMG_0014.jpg
http://www.dehaan.net/cp/carniflora2003/pages/IMG_0016.html (D. capensis 'albino' babies haha)
http://www.dehaan.net/cp/carniflora2003/images/IMG_0007.jpg (Giant Tray of Venus Flytraps)
http://www.dehaan.net/cp/carniflora2003/images/IMG_0012.jpg
http://www.dehaan.net/cp/carniflora2003/pages/IMG_0004.html

Last edited by a moderator:
amazing!! greenhouse....i really want to build one like that.
oh~~~~admire.

Where is this place?
Very cool!
JMatt

I can't open the top link, it says that the page doesn't exist anymore.

The others are from the Carniflora nurserie in the Neatherlands.

OK someone with money buy us some tickets and lets go! Seriously, each of those awesome Cephs must be only like $5...

I also can't get a picture from the top link ???

oh what i would give to visit that nersery!

I fixed the link :).

That's nuts! Isn't Carniflora the European company that distributes Cephs to European hardware stores? U.S. CP distributors should take notice!

I remember reading about this company on the UK CP forum. People would always talk about walking into a local store and picking up a Ceph in a domed pot like it was a D. capensis or something just as common. Pretty crazy!

Its insane man! damn! I would love to get one of those pots. But, if I was there in person, I would probably buy like 3 or 4 :p

That's nuts! Isn't Carniflora the European company that distributes Cephs to European hardware stores? U.S. CP distributors should take notice!

I remember reading about this company on the UK CP forum. People would always talk about walking into a local store and picking up a Ceph in a domed pot like it was a D. capensis or something just as common. Pretty crazy!

Jep that's Carniflora

I wonder why Cephs aren't offered here in the states in places like Home Depot or Lowe's. They aren't any harder to take care of than Nepenthes.

I think you might have some disagreement there. Cephs are notorious for being a bit finicky. They're a bit fragile when it comes to packing and shipping which is another negative in the pot plant world.
They are also very slow to mature, even from TC. I would venture to say a good 2-3 year from TC before they would be saleable.
Before i started in CP's i didn't even know that Cephs existed, so awareness would be another issue!
Peter

I find Nepenthes harder than Cephalotus, for a time I also found D. capensis harder than Cephalotus =/ (when I had artificial lights, the Cephalotus was doing fine under them but the D. capensis wasn't making any dew, what are the odds of that haha?) I just have luck with Cephalotus, they are also my favorite CP.

Anyways...

I wonder why Cephs aren't offered here in the states in places like Home Depot or Lowe's. They aren't any harder to take care of than Nepenthes.
I think you might have some disagreement there. Cephs are notorious for being a bit finicky.
I find Nepenthes harder than Cephalotus, for a time I also found D. capensis harder than Cephalotus

obviously the answer lies on opinion and personal experience. my ceph just opened its first mature pitcher. over the last 3 weeks or so the plant has REALLY slowed down. for me it grows with everything i have except for plants that need dormancy so is no harder/easier than any plant i have indoors. next year i plan on putting a cutting outside to see how long it would last. wish me luck :)

Alex

I think you might have some disagreement there. Cephs are notorious for being a bit finicky. They're a bit fragile when it comes to packing and shipping which is another negative in the pot plant world.
They are also very slow to mature, even from TC. I would venture to say a good 2-3 year from TC before they would be saleable.
Before i started in CP's i didn't even know that Cephs existed, so awareness would be another issue!
Peter

You make some valid points. For whatever reason I've never had any problems growing Cephs. On the other hand, I tend to have endless problems when it comes to growing Nepenthes. So yeah, I'm sure it all depends on personal experience.

But even then, especially when Cephs are considered to be slow-growing, not well-known, and finicky, I wonder why this particular company has decided that they're worth selling on the mass market. I also wonder if they're more expensive than your typical sundew or pitcher plant in a hardware store.

I think they'd make good retail plants. They'd die so much faster than Dionaea so they could be replaced faster, too.

At the same time they don't move, so the novelty feature is lost.

I have ceph seedlings and they are growing slow for me...I don't think that a person buying one from a home depot or lowes, which are 10/1 first time growers would know what they are or how to grow them. I don't think they would make good department store plants personally...

When you really sit down and think about it, CPs make horrible retail plants in general. Just about everyone who buys them (at least for the first time) has no idea how to care for them and ends up killing the plant, whether it's a sundew or a Ceph.

So I say: Bring Cephs to Home Depot! Woo!

That is a valid point...

Back