What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus "Top Hat"

I figured I would start a thread here since I'm sure there are people that don't make it to my GH thread.
I am seeing a condition on one of my cephalotus plants where they develop a massive pitcher lid. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this, and/or may know what could be causing it. They have been in my LL GH about 10" from 4 T12's.. 80*F daytime and nighttime temps with 85%+ constant humidity. I have since moved them to my HL GH about 1.5ft below 8 T5HO's.. 80*F days with 60*-55*F nights and 75%+ humidity.

100_7491.jpg

100_7492.jpg

100_7490copy.jpg

100_7493.jpg

100_7494.jpg

I'm not sure what could be causing it, but they certainly look happy.
Overjoyed.
Ecstatic!

happens to me sometimes...it comes it goes....at least for my plant and my experience, this characteristic is not stable.

shibby.. Thanks amp!

I have observed similar (although not as extreme) cases of this. It seems to happen more when I grow Cephs in enclosed terrariums.

Tinfoil-hat theory:
The lids of Cephs are very sensitive and responsive to changes in hydration levels, and will quickly "wilt" to cover the pitcher opening and prevent evaporation when water is scarce (I think Peter mentions this in The Savage Garden.)

Your humidity is very high, so perhaps what we're seeing is "hyper-hydration" where the lid is under extreme turgor pressure and pops inside out.

The lids seem large but not outrageously so (imo). The "pops inside out" thing happens periodically. Spring seems to be a time when i get more unusual leaves where Cephs get confused whether they're making a pitcher or leaf. John B has an interesting explanation of how Cephs form their pitchers over here. I currently have two odd leaf/pitcher things forming on one of my plants. One looks like a larger version of:
Ceph-deformed1RS.jpg

... and the other looks a bit like the pic John used in his article - although I'll have to wait & see how it develops...

oohhh... "hyper-hydration".. That makes sense!

RL7836 ~ "Cephs get confused," is a good way of putting it. I'm yet to see the trap/leaf ordeal.. but I'd definitely agree that is one confused ceph!

Back