What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus medium question

Hello!

I just repotted a couple of cephs, but I'm worried that I didn't make an airy enough mix. I was too lazy to actually measure the amount of stuff I put into the mix. :p

It's sand, peatmoss, and perlite. It doesn't look airy enough to me, but let me know what you think.

And if I re-pot them again, would it put them under a lot more stress, or would it really matter since I just re-potted them?

sorry about the bad pics
7052270573_cf418f5538_z.jpg

6906182698_5ce0a1dec3_z.jpg

Looks Great to me...they aren't terribly picky, as long as the soil stays damp and the center doesn't end up smelling like rotten eggs. Looks like there is more than enough perlite in there.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch them for a while. That mix looks fine for now. The less you mess with them, the better off they are.

Thanks Exo and Cthulu. We'll see how they do, then!

Should be fine Devon. Just make sure it gets enough air movement where ever you are placing it and correspond that with damp media and decent humidity and you can't stop them from growing.

I'm not into measuring quantities, I just go by eye as to whether it looks right. Typically, with a Cephalotus mix, I try to have one that it relatively free draining. That is, when I water from above, the surface water quickly disperses.

I'm not into measuring quantities, I just go by eye as to whether it looks right. Typically, with a Cephalotus mix, I try to have one that it relatively free draining. That is, when I water from above, the surface water quickly disperses.

I do the same, although this time I didn't do it well.

If it should be that freely draining, then I think I should re-pot it... But I don't want it to go under even more stress. I'll leave it forr a year anyway and see how it does. :p

@Devon, I'm not advocating that you repot, just saying what I aim for. I've actually had a mature Cephalotus growing in a very compacted peat based mix and it grew just fine. Repotting can set them back a little, so best not to do it too often I find.

I grew some back in the early 90s in straight peat. Put out around 3" pitchers.
When the growth started to decline a couple of years later, I unpotted and PHEW, it stunk.
Separated and repotted and all was fine.
Point to Exo-not picky about the mix.

Cheers,

Joe

I think I've got 7 pots of cephalotus all in different media. They're all doing fine but the one in pure LFS is doing much better. I know it's a risky material but I've been keeping it only a little moist.
I've observed that cephalotus prefers being moist + humid instead of dry; but that's just my opinion.

german giant,

cepha01.jpg

cephagerman.jpg

Yours is definitely putting out a lot of leaves.

Yes, they always do this when spring comes. It starts to get very hot + humid here in Istanbul in May/June; that's when they stop with the leaves and start pitchering. I tell myself every year I'm going to do some leaf pullings but still can't bring myself to do it...Maybe this summer :0)

Back