What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Development

I have a Cephalotus plant that is ~5 years of age. It is really healthy, produces at least one new pitcher every other month, and it is growing. It is still tiny though, and I know these plants are supposed to be slow to develop. How long should it take a healthy Cephalotus plant to reach its maximum size?

maximum size is a very loose term. most people consider a ceph mature once it starts making mature pitchers. others when it flowers. I have plants that are mature and flowering that are only around 4 inchs across. been that way for years. I have other plants that are touching the edges of a 14in planter.

different clones grow at different sizes. if your plant is 5 inches and has not changed size there are a few things you can do to try to increase the plant. repot if needed and feed it.

Wise words from jcal, a picture would be good and a description of how you are growing it, for example the amount of light , temps and how you go about watering. There is also a difference in growth rate of seed grown and plants produced from cuttings

Last edited:
A Cephalotus described as "tiny" after five years growth is evidence that it isn't getting ideal treatment. I think you need to describe its growing conditions in detail before we can offer suggestions for improving its rate of growth. A photo would be helpful as well.

To give you some context: I have Cephalotus specimens that are a little more than 3 years old from seed that have filled 4" pots to overflowing with pitchers over 2" tall, so to me - your plant seems exceedingly slow to develop.

Great minds and all that:-D

Here is one taken from an Emu Point leaf pull, somewhere around 3 years old. Growing on a windowsill in my house in a watering tray that has fertilizers added to it. The pot is 8" tall by 3" square at the top. Keep in mind I'm not giving them a winter rest. I would consider both of these close to there maximum size without repotting, playing with their lighting, and/or temperature changes.

Cephalotus Emu Point by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Another leaf pull from the same time frame, sorry can not read the label from the photo but playing match the Ceph it looks like a 'Hummer's Giant'.

DSC_0734 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Well, it may be younger I suppose. I received it from a nursery that stated it was 3-4 years old when I bought it. I have had it for ~7-10 months now, I forget what month I bought it last year. The plant itself has doubled in size since I bought it, but as the picture above points out, I have seen numerous photos of supposed 3 year old plants looking much larger than mine. It grows in an 8 inch pot for now, in a peat/silica sand mix. It receives about 8 hours of direct sunlight per day in the window.

Despite its doubling in size, the largest pitchers are only two centimeters in length. The new pitchers are double the size of the adult ones on the plant from when I bought it. Otherwise, the plant seems really healthy. Perhaps I should feed it bloodworms more often. Or maybe the plant is not as old as I was told. If it was actually 3-4 years old when I bought it from this unnamed reputable nursery, that is pretty pathetic growth compared to the plant photos above.

How often should I feed the plant? I give it one bloodworm per month right now. Should I give it one bloodworm per adult pitcher?

Despite its doubling in size, the largest pitchers are only two centimeters in length. The new pitchers are double the size of the adult ones on the plant from when I bought it. Otherwise, the plant seems really healthy. Perhaps I should feed it bloodworms more often. Or maybe the plant is not as old as I was told. If it was actually 3-4 years old when I bought it from this unnamed reputable nursery, that is pretty pathetic growth compared to the plant photos above.

How often should I feed the plant? I give it one bloodworm per month right now. Should I give it one bloodworm per adult pitcher?

If the plant doubled in size over a year under your care I'd be happy with that growth rate. Some clones grow at slower rates than others and every time I've gotten in a new Ceph it has taken a good 1-6m for it to get used to my conditions and start growing.

I have never actually feed pitchers so someone else would have to help out with that. I just add a low strength fert to the water.

how cold does it get on your window sill? for the short amount of time you have had it, it seems that you have owned it mostly during winter. i would wait until it warms up and check its growth after spring.

Maybe it is a slow-growing clone then. While it has doubled in its breadth, I expected more change in pitcher size because of its supposed age. It has recently put out ten somewhat large (for the plant size) non-carnivorous leaves in the past two weeks. I assume this is due to the onset of Spring. I probably should have been more descriptive in my initial posts, it is growing, but as I just mentioned, it seems so tiny for a plant its age. Perhaps it will surprise me with larger pitchers as the weather gets warm.

It would not be below 65ºF during the day in this particular window. Maybe ~60ºF at night, even during the coldest of winter days.

Thanks for the input everyone. If you have more suggestions, please let me know. It seems like I may just have to be a bit more patient with this particular plant.

Cephs don't mind low temps unless you're talking a freeze. A real freeze.

My Cephalotus seem to slow down in growth during winter when the days are shorter and temps are cooler. I keep mine in an unheated garage window over winter with average nighttime temps being in the low 40s by mid/late winter though. Also I have noticed that when they get a lot of light/sunlight the pitchers tend to be smaller and with less light/sunlight new pitchers that form are larger. I notice this both with artificial lighting and sunlight. You say yours gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight through the window, so would be interesting to see if less sunlight would make a difference in pitcher size on your plant. I suspect you may see faster or more growth as the growing season progresses.

My Ceph has grown substantially since I brought it in for the winter. However I'm still waiting to see the summer growth rate of my plant. I acclimated to natural sunlight too quickly when I first got it and definitely set it back. It didn't do squat for a couple months and just started making progress when I brought it in. It's under pretty intense led illumination so the upcoming transition should go much smoother.

Last edited:
My Cephalotus seem to slow down in growth during winter when the days are shorter and temps are cooler. I keep mine in an unheated garage window over winter with average nighttime temps being in the low 40s by mid/late winter though. Also I have noticed that when they get a lot of light/sunlight the pitchers tend to be smaller and with less light/sunlight new pitchers that form are larger. I notice this both with artificial lighting and sunlight. You say yours gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight through the window, so would be interesting to see if less sunlight would make a difference in pitcher size on your plant. I suspect you may see faster or more growth as the growing season progresses.

I have heard that about sunlight levels. I thought about moving it, but I worry about it declining. I am probably too cautious with the plant, I think a lot of the "mystery death" stories involving CPs are probably because people mess with them too much. I pretty much let mine be, aside from (at most) monthly feeding of powdered bloodworms. I hope I will see a boost in growth. Is the creation of many non-carnivorous leaves on this plant usually a precursor to new pitchers during the growth season?

My Ceph has grown substantially since I brought it in for the winter. However I'm still waiting to see the summer growth rate of my plant. I acclimated to natural sunlight too quickly when I first got it and definitely set it back. It didn't do squat for a couple months and just started making progress when I brought it in. It's under pretty intense led illumination so the upcoming transition should go much smoother.

My Cephalotus was acclimated to natural light when I got it, at least from what I was told. How old is your Cephalotus, and what is the size of the largest pitchers?

It was a small rooted plug when I got it June or so. Largest pitchers are about 1" or so.

Last edited:
It was a small rooted plug when I got it June or so. Largest pitchers are about 1" or so.

plug? was that the double ribbed clone I had avaiable at the time?

Last edited:
No, I got this one from RSS.

Back