What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus care

I bought a cephalotus because i heard so much about them, im in new york and humidity here is always around 50 in winter and 80 in summer, the average temps are 60-80, is this good for a giant var.cephalotus? what is basic care, ive searched this on this forum, can you belive there is no info !?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Oct. 23 2005,8:47)]what is basic care, ive searched this on this forum, can you belive there is no info !?
No - I can't believe it... But there are a number of posts on the subject both here and CPUK. Here's an FAQ:
Ceph FAQ

Good luck with your plant.
smile_m_32.gif

I have one that is open tray. SW window sill, mix of sand & peat, with LFS on top, watered 3X per week from the bottom, and misted (very textbook). Its winter leaves I tried sprouting in a tray of swampy, live LFS, overlaying sand & peat mix, SW window sill, open tray, kept wet all the time, watered from the top (not textbook), They have been growing like this for almost a year.

no realy try searching for it, i cant find enything under cephalotus care

oh and thank you for the link !

I have both the regular form and 'Hummer's giant'. I grow them with my highland nepenthes--cool temps, high humidity, constant air circulation. I top water the plants. So far they don't seem difficult.

Brian

typical lowland conditions under high light levels. i probably grow them drier than i should, but if it ain't broke....

I also grow my plants on the "dry side", near a window in the laundry room.

84a569eb.jpg

Good growing,
KPG

Man, that is a nice looking plant - or a cluster of plants!

Always loved cephs. Too bad mine is extinct, and I never replaced it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 27 2005,8:31)]Always loved cephs. Too bad mine is extinct, and I never replaced it.
Now this I can help ya with. I have a few from winter leaf cuttings.
smile.gif

yey it arived, its pitchers are very large for an inch in diameter plant!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
ok, so now my problem is to get the pitchers to open, they are all closed, is this comon and untill when will it be like this, i have it in a high humidity inviroment, heliamphoria humid, is this good, thank you all for your help, especialy bobz the links realy helped!
happy growing
smile.gif

It's probably stressed from shipping and liquid might have escaped from the pitchers - which they hate.

The existing lids should reopen, but it's not guaranteed. New pitchers should be fine if it's kept humid.

Remember to keep the water level low and let it evaporate in the tray for 2 or 3 days before refilling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (killerplantsguy @ Oct. 26 2005,3:05)]I also grow my plants on the "dry side", near a window in the laundry room.

84a569eb.jpg

Good growing,
KPG
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Thats a super beautiful plant killerplantsguy, fantastic pic!!!
smile_m_32.gif
Are these plants hard to care for?? Absolutely STUNNING!!!!

It's almost as cute as mine (see its picture under "newly sprouted cehp seed" topic).........
smile_m_32.gif

Anyone grow Cehp's outside? Where do they grow in the wild?

-Rail

Mine is inside, but the comon name for it, "Australian Pitcher Plant.

Hi Barracuda,

I don't have much trouble growing my Cephalotus plants. Here are my coditions (I'm certainly no expert):

Plants are inside near a West-facing window. Temps range 60 to 85F. Potted in 80% #3 perlite and 20% peatmoss. I use tall pots in shallow saucers. Allow saucers to dry, before refilling. Almost forgot, they receive some supplemental light from fluorescent lights in a small adjacent terrarium.

This works for me,
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (killerplantsguy @ Oct. 31 2005,1:00)]Hi Barracuda,

I don't have much trouble growing my Cephalotus plants.  Here are my coditions (I'm certainly no expert):

Plants are inside near a West-facing window.  Temps range 60 to 85F.  Potted in 80% #3 perlite and 20% peatmoss. I use tall pots in shallow saucers.  Allow saucers to dry, before refilling.  Almost forgot, they receive some supplemental light from fluorescent lights in a small adjacent terrarium.

This works for me,
KPG
smile_m_32.gif
Thanks KPG, i just cant get over how stunningly beautiful that plant is.. WOW!!! Im drooling on the keyboard again.. LOL!!
smile_n_32.gif

Help! I suspect my Cephalotus is having problems. It looks as though new pitchers are turning brown before the pitcher can mature. I had this once before with a Ceph and it eventually died.

I live near Chicago. When the season is warm, I grow it outside in partial shade and take it in only when the weather gets hot. It seems to do fine out there. When the harsh Midwest winter begins to approach, I take it in and leave it in a South window terrarium. The light hitting the terrarium is difused through shear curtains and the top of the terrarium is partially covered to maintain some humidity, but avoid heat build up. I would guess the avarage daily temperature is high 70's (F) to somewhere in the 80s. Night temperature is probably around mid to high 60s.

There is water sitting in the base of the terrarium so that all the other CP's are in one big tray system. But Ceph and some Heliamphora are sitting in their own tray which I let go dry between waterings. When I do water the Ceph tray, I only give it about a quarter of an inch.

I don't feed or fertilize the Ceph. I don't know what the growing mix is because I bought it from a CP supplier. I suspect the medium has perlite in it and is airy, but again I'm not certain.

I wondered if it wasn't getting cool enough at night, but I've noticed others on the forum growing Ceph without especially cool nights.

I've lost another Ceph last year in the terrarium, and I'm wondering if it could be the humidity. Perhaps it caused a fungal problem? Could it be SCDS as mentioned here: Ceph FAQ ?

For the time, I might keep my plant out of the terrarium. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm new to this forum and I was delighted to stumble across it. There's some great stuff here!

confused.gif

Back