What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus back from the dead

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
6 months ago I transplanted my cephalotus(es?) into bigger pots as their pots weren't deep enough (4") and their roots were starting to come out the bottom. Well one of them didn't take kindly to the transplant and appeared to be dead within a couple weeks. The others did fine, one in fact had a growth spurt. But this particular plant shriveled up and looked completely dead. I've had luck with nepenthes looking bad and then coming out in the end, so I didn't give up hope. I cut it to the soil line and just kept taking care of as usual.

Well, it worked! After almost 5 months of no sign of life, it just recently started putting out new growth, and it looks promising! Several new growth points are showing up now. Cephalotus really are tough little buggers.

Exact plant not long before the transplant:
DSC_0239.jpg

And now:
DSC_2217.jpg

DSC_2218.jpg

Cephs are far tougher than most people seem to think......

Carnivorous plants always do suprise, don't they? I remember when I thought that my plants would die if I looked at them wrong.

Exactly Exo and Mr. Truncata! Us three think alike!

Glad to see it is still chugging along. I had to repot my Hummer's Giant and it dropped about half of the pitchers, but seems to be doing better. They are tough plants, but they are very sensitive when it comes to transplanting them.

I remember when had my cephalotus. Good times, good times.

I would also take leaf cuttings from the "winter leaves".

From what I've seen, many CPs tend to come back from the roots. One of those things I love about them.

However, I find it very sad and worrying that your original plant died down like that. Can a transplant cause so much damage ? Could it be something else ?

Also I'm wondering if it has something to do with the soil mix. Some mixes tend to be finer and it's hard to seperate the roots (If one wants to seperate, that is), some thin roots break easily and this may be the major reason of the plant's stress. I'm just guessing of course; haven't moved mine yet.

Zombies are always cool.

Good to hear it pulled through.

AND, you may have a heartier grower afterwards. :D

I know that my Cephs have done that in the past.

Back