What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ceph cutting

hi would a ceph pitcher till root if it was cut off not pulled off? i have a cutting from 4 months ago and i looked at it today and still no roots so i diped it in some root hormones. then i put it back in the soil.

hi would a ceph pitcher till root if it was cut off not pulled off? i have a cutting from 4 months ago and i looked at it today and still no roots so i diped it in some root hormones. then i put it back in the soil.

If sufficient tissue from the rhizome was present, it has a good chance of rooting; but Cephalotus can take a few weeks to several months to root. My own record was over one year for some leaf cuttings and pitchers to exhibit new growth, while another pot grew within weeks . . .

Why didn't you dip it in rooting compound in the first place?
Rooting is possible, and your success will increase with the more leaf/stem you have to work with, as you know having as much of the portion where it attaches to the main stem increases your chance of success.
If the cutting is still green and in good shape, in my opinion, you are still in the game! But above all now, keep it moist (not wet) and beyond that, go find something else to do for another 4 months! Rooting cuttings need one thing most of all... patience!

Take care and good luck.:water:

(BBella! Didn't know you were here! You beat me by a moment! You said it all and your experience with these is better than mine! A year shows that you are indeed a patient man!)

Last edited:
My own record was over one year for some leaf cuttings and pitchers to exhibit new growth

wow thats crazy i dont really understand how a leaf or pitcher can live that long after being cut off of the main plant.

Why didn't you dip it in rooting compound in the first place?
Rooting is possible, and your success will increase with the more leaf/stem you have to work with, as you know having as much of the portion where it attaches to the main stem increases your chance of success.
If the cutting is still green and in good shape, in my opinion, you are still in the game! But above all now, keep it moist (not wet) and beyond that, go find something else to do for another 4 months! Rooting cuttings need one thing most of all... patience!

Take care and good luck.

ok so there is still a chance... thats good i guess all there is to do is wait...

Back