What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand?

U

Unregistered

Has anyone read this book by Bruce Salmon? It's been out for a few years and I've seen it on eBay and other places, but I've been hesitant to add it to my CP book collection because of the price. I've yet to find a single place that wants less than about $55 if you include the shipping (often from NZ, hence the cost). :0o:

If anyone knows a place to obtain this domestically that would be a nice heads up, but I've not found anyone that carries it in the U.S. as of yet.

I'd also appreciate any insight people have about this book and whether or not it's worth picking up.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :hail:

Perhaps you can get your local public library to get a lending copy from another library somewhere. That way you can see for yourself if it is worth getting.

I have a signed copy that I received from a guest from NZ this summer.

It's got some COOL pics and a lot of info on finding the plants in habitat.
The tone of the book is best described as DRY. There is a little bit of cultivation info but most of it focusses on the plants themselves, LOTS of detail about all the parts of every species.

Is it worth it?? The only real complaint I have with the book is the small number of species in it, but the detail is there. I would suggest that at 30$ it would be a GREAT buy, but too much more, I don't know.

Hope this helps even a little bit :D

I have a signed copy that I received from a guest from NZ this summer.

It's got some COOL pics and a lot of info on finding the plants in habitat.
The tone of the book is best described as DRY. There is a little bit of cultivation info but most of it focusses on the plants themselves, LOTS of detail about all the parts of every species.

Is it worth it?? The only real complaint I have with the book is the small number of species in it, but the detail is there. I would suggest that at 30$ it would be a GREAT buy, but too much more, I don't know.

Hope this helps even a little bit :D

Actually yes, this was very helpful. I think I may have to just hold off on this until I can find a better price on it, because right now there's nothing even close to $30, and thats before the insane shipping charges get tacked on.

Thanks very much for your helpful info!

No sweat, I figured it's not too common a tome, and tho I don't have many books to compare it to, I have read it cover to cover- it would be VERY useful if you were headed to NZ and wanted to get a look at everything at the best possible time, but for "general interest" and "reference" it really is rather narrow, I would have bought Barry's book over it if I had the choice to make- when you consider there's maybe 30 pages of info and pics JUST for D.spatulata in the book, it shoud give you an idea :D

No sweat, I figured it's not too common a tome, and tho I don't have many books to compare it to, I have read it cover to cover- it would be VERY useful if you were headed to NZ and wanted to get a look at everything at the best possible time, but for "general interest" and "reference" it really is rather narrow, I would have bought Barry's book over it if I had the choice to make- when you consider there's maybe 30 pages of info and pics JUST for D.spatulata in the book, it shoud give you an idea :D

Wow. Well, I'll keep this book in mind when I'm on eBay and elsewhere, but I guess I'll stop short of shelling out the big bucks for something with such a narrow scope, at least for now. I can get a lot of plants for that kind of money anyway. :jester:

Back