What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Catchfly

I recently learned about Carnivorous Catchfly (Silene insectivora) listed on the online Jepson eflora while researching other Silene species. Two I photoed in my home area: The weedy European S. galica with pink tinted flowers is sticky on its upper parts to protect flowers. I have witnessed captured insects and assassin bugs scurry along the sticky stems of my local native red flowered S. laciniata. I don’t believe Catchfly is truly carnivorous, but still interesting because I can see how something similar and possibly related could have become Drosophyllum.

Catchfly1.JPGCatchfly2.JPG

Silene nuda subsp. insectivora. First published in Silene insectivora L.F.Hend. in Rhodora 32: 24 (1930)

Attachments

• Silene Insectivora.png
    Silene Insectivora.png
    451.2 KB · Views: 7
catchfly 4.18.22b marked.JPG
Here is a photo of a test I did. Catchfly Silene galica with a pool of fluid secreted around a food offering (a fruitfly butt).

Back