What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i use this on any of my plants/ is it safe for any of my plants

I bought a kit that allows you to grow VFT hydropionicly but the seeds didn't sprout and know i have this stuff that the kit said to mix in with the water that the VFT are grwoing in once they reach a certian growth stage.

Here is what it said to do.

Add 4-5 cups of luke warm distilled water to the base.

Add 1/16 of a tablespoon it's one small spoonful of part A netrientto the water and stir.

First add part A which looks like yellow sand then use the scoop to throughly mix into the water.

Rinse and dry the scoop.

Add one scoop of part B which looks like little white balls and use the scoop to throughly mix into the water.

Once your plants have roots that are visible and protruding out from the rock wool, you can strengthen your netrient as follows: Add 1/8 teaspoon of each nutrient to the water each time you make a new batch. This is two measuring spoonfuls each type.

Ok that is the instructions on adding them to the water but now here are the ingredients to part A and part B.

PART A
Total nitrogen...................4.50%
Available phosphric acid (P2O5).....14.00%
Soluable Potassium (K2O).............34.00%
Magnesium (Mg).........................3.77%

PART B
Total nitrogen................15.50%
1.0% Ammoniacal
14.5% Nitrate Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca)...................19.00%

So i am guessing it would be safe for some of my carnivorous plants because i don't think they would sell it if it killed the plants.

So the main questions are: Do i use it the same way that is says to use it? Can i mix that in with a amount of water that is equal to the ratio that it says to use? What genus of carnivorous plants can i not use it on? If i did and could mix the right amount in to the right amount of water do i water like i regulary do so that it will go through the roots or do i do it another way?

Thanks,

Ean.

There is a hydroponic kit explicitly for VFT? Holy small market share Batman! :)

Yes there is for only $27.99. Comes with everything you need including VFT seeds.

I'm not one to argue. I just found it oddly specific. I have zero hydroponic experience, but my gut would tell me most CPs would not like this on thier roots.

You could always hold onto it and try it out again this fall when VFT seed is plentyful. Would be interesting to see the results. My guess is that the seed didn't germinate because of thier lack of freshness. If they were included in your kit, who knows how long they sat on a shelf somewhere.

True but probably no more than 8-9 months old because i got the kit in December. But posible that they are even older. I think they didn't grow because i didn't grow them right. Who know's.

If I am not mistaken, VFT seed germination rate decreases rapidly with age. 8-9 month old seed would probably have a very low germination rate. Again no expert on VFT seed either. Just seem to recall this being discussed in other threads.

My only experience with VFT seed has been from my own plants that have been sown very soon after harvesting.

Sure the germination rate decreases i'm just telling you they shouldn't be any older than 8-9 months old. If that old.

A few sources such Dr. Paul Zahl's "Plants that Eat Insects", National Geographic May 1961 state that Venus Flytrap seeds lose viability within a few weeks unless stored properly.

Potassium concentration seems very high to me. Perhaps mobile who has much experience with hydroponics and is experimenting with carnivorous plants could give us a better idea.

OK hey mobile please help! ;)

Back