What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i feed this insect?

upper

Capensis Killer
i found this insect on the wall of my house. actually, i found 2. one was on my leg so i squished it and some sorta blood came out.
it walks almost like a centipede. the side to side squiggly walk, it walks really fast.
here's a picture i kinda drew(not exact) of how it looks like, it does have that tail looking thing on the back. its in my freezer right now, i heard if you put a bug in a freezer, it'll hybernate and then i can place it in the trap :)

i think it bit me too, i'm not sure.

edit: it has like 4 tails thingy, and i think it died. 5 minute in the freezer, it curled up abit and wont walk anymore the tentacle is moving though

I don't see why not.

yeah its a silverfish.

I feed my VFTs silverfish all the time. No problem. A minute and half to two minutes in the freezer is usually enough.

oh, alrighty.

To feed your VFT dead insects just put the bug in the trap and trigger the trap. After the trap closes very gently squeeze the trap or tap it. Repeat a couple times.

its not dead, its like after i put it in the fridge it stops moving, when i take it out, 2-3 minutes later it starts moving again.

Your plant can't decide what does or doesn't fall in it's trap, so there's no 'unsafe' creature.

If it doesn't like that particular individual the trap might die. It's no big deal.

Rather than chasing silverfish about and messing around in the freezer, why don't you just stick your plant outside?

my plant is already outside, i caught the silverfish in my house, so not knowing what to do with it, i decide to give it to my VFT.

my plant is already catching bugs on its own, but this is like desert or something.

i woudnt want to squish it knowing that the first time i squished it i almost threw up.

Sliverfish are pests anyway. They chew up paper and other natural fibers. Instead of squishing them why not recycle them as CP food?

My VFTs are outdoors also. The odd silverfish that I catch on the average 1 every two or three months isn't likely to put the VFTs off their diet.

Back