What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus potting soil mix

L

LaiFamily

I have a new baby vft, and I'm looking to transplant it out of the very small container it came in. I stumbled across this board, and I've seen a variety of posts regarding soil composition. I have a package of cactus potting soil, which says it contains a blend of "composted material, perlite and sand". Would this mixed with sphagmum moss be a satisfactory planting medium? I'm looking to keep things pretty low tech.

Thanks.

Hi,
First of all welcome to pet fly trap, I am sure you will find all your answers in this excellent forum.

With regards to your flytrap, the best way is to buy new compost material; 3 parts sphagnum moss peat to 1 part perlite. Or if you prefer 1 part moss peat to 1 of silica sand. I would not use the cactus compost, because it may contain harmful bacteria which may cause root rot to your VFT when wetted.

I hope that helps!

If you have trouble finding the soil that you need for your new Venus Flytrap, you can buy the exact correct soil from this website
www.petflytrap.com . They have about everything you need to make your plant healthy and happy. Welcome to the forums. We're a happy family here and you'll find the people eager to help.
smile.gif

Do not use cactus soil as there are too many other minerals associated with it.

I was about to ask the same thing, except I have cactus sand. Is it no good? I tested it with vinegar, and there was no fizzing. I will try and scratch glass as someone else recommended.

My brother in law gave me a bag of peat moss this weeknd, do you need to soak it or clean it in any way before replanting a VFT?

Hey Meagan,

What is the make up of the cactus sand? CP's as a whole really cannot take sand that has salts in them.

SO it would have to be silica sand, quartzs sand. Somehting that won't conflict with the plant.

And about the Peat moss...

What you need to do is place some in a container, add water, and mix! The peat will absord the water, but sometimes it needs a little help.

After a bit the peat will turn into a wet soil compostion ( or mud depending on how much water you added )
smile.gif

Back