What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BZ40 aka FTS Tall Giant (tentative name)

Tentatively named FTS Tall Giant, this is a monster of a flytrap with large traps, long teeth (cilia) and extremely long leaves. Very dangerous looking!

This is originally a seedling from Bob Ziemer's seed harvest that I got in 2009 and put in tissue culture, hence the BZ40 (it was the 40th seedling I deflasked). I had it in tissue culture again early last year, but took it out because I wasn't sure of its size or impressiveness. But last spring it impressed me with its large traps and long leaves and again this spring it is very impressive; probably the best looking flytrap in the greenhouses right now.

Suggested names are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Daddy Long-Legs"
"Jack's Beanstalk"
"Skyscraper"
"Skywalker"
"Ankle Biter"
"Bird Watcher"
"Bird Catcher"

I could do this all day..
Would love to grow one if they ever get into circulation.

I like Mass's proposed name "Jack's Beanstalk." It just seems like a perfect fit to me.

Definitely "Venus' Bird Trap"

Thanks for all of the name suggestions! Tons of great ones here :)

I guess I should get it back in tissue culture...seems like people would enjoy growing this plant.

I guess I should get it back in tissue culture...seems like people would enjoy growing this plant.

For sure! We all know how big of a hit B52 is.
Size matters..
I'd love to have one, and I'm not even a VFT fan.

Thanks for all of the name suggestions! Tons of great ones here :)

You can put me on the list!

Would be very interested. Very cool plant!

Personally, I like Travis' suggested name of "Ankle Biter". :D

Aw shucks. I wanna see it.

we want pics
hurry up get it in stores I want one

"Ankle Biter" gets my vote as well! Beats the other ankle biters in my collection, haha.

Ambaja: Thanx for the pics!

"Daddy Long-Legs"
"Jack's Beanstalk"
"Skyscraper"
"Skywalker"
"Ankle Biter"
"Bird Watcher"
"Bird Catcher"

I could do this all day..
Would love to grow one if they ever get into circulation.

These are great! I vote for "Ankle Biter" as well, (hilarious) "Daddy Long Legs" is a good one too, although alternatively I'm thinking "Harvestman," another nickname for that arthropod.

I'd like to see it too, sounds like something I'd be interested in. Any way we can see some pictures? (Edit, nevermind...looks awesome!)

That's huge! I'm going to suggest calling it 'Gandalf'.

That, my friend, is a flytrap!
I like the names "Jack's Beanstalk" and "Ankle Biter."

Hm well my other post was deleted I suppose but I said I liked "Jack's Beanstalk" although "Harvestman" is catchy too.

What about 'Legs'?

Hm well my other post was deleted I suppose but I said I liked "Jack's Beanstalk" although "Harvestman" is catchy too.

Sorry, I forgot it had other content in it... but it was removed since it linked to a site which has a store obviously linked to it, and the photos themselves have the store name in them. both things are not permitted here.
Thanks!
Andrew

Do you have any other pics ?, I would like to see it

Would love to see a pic of the VFT . Quite curious :D

Back