What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying sarracenia

lol

BANNED
Hay guys. I want to buy some sarracenia in the next 2 weks, but I'm worried that they may not like being shipped and repotted so late in the season. I want to get some flavas, rubas, and leucos. Will they survive if I buy them now? Should I try babying them inside under grow lights? Also, for the past month, my S. minor seems to be dying off. By that I mean the leaves are dying, and it looks like the main growth point is healthy looking, but the other growth points look brown. What could the problem be while all my other sarracenia are thriving?

I think it's better to get them in the Spring so any root disturbance occurs as the roots are beginning to grow anyway.

I did exactly that two fall's ago, with spindly looking Sarrs from H.D.'s 50 cent rack. I basically kept them alive through the winter and placed them outside in the spring. I thought they were S. rubra, but after some sun and fun, they were obviously some leucophylla thingy. It's kinda like the ugly duckling story. Yes, it can be done.

I just bought some from a place no longer doing retail! Last chance for some great plants, and I'll just put them to bend as Jimscott said.

yea, same place
smile_m_32.gif
. Gotta get them before November.

Sarracenia can be repotted at any time of year. If you do it in summer or early autumn, they may stop growing for a couple of weeks, but that's it. If sarras had problems being repotted then nurseries would only be able to ship out in winter!

Alvin's right - any time of year is fine. I've probably bought a plant in every month at one point or another, with no problems. They may not look good for awhile, but eventually they'll come around. There's a misconception that Sarracenia are these fragile, easy-to-kill plants. When in reality they can really take a beating and bounce back from it. An example i like to use is, i divided a bunch of Sarra's this past march. i put them in baggies, since i either had trades lined up for them, or had yet to get some pots for them. There were a few I left in my garage like that for several months. over the summer, with no water, no light, getting pretty hot during the day. i had actually forgotten about them. stumbled upon them in july or august. they looked dead, dried up, etc. i thought "what the hay" potted them up. sure enough, after a few weeks, some shoots appeared. now i've got 12" pitchers on it.

Back