What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying new / sealed Photoshop off ebay?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I'm curious if anyone here has ever bought new "factory sealed" software off Ebay?

I want to pick up the new Photoshop release (CS4) and there's plenty of copies claiming to be new and factory sealed in box available on Ebay for rather good prices ($350-400 instead of $600) for the Full "non-extended" version. Meaning it doesn't have the 3D poly mapped object import extensions that the $1000 CS4 Extended handles, which I don't need anyway. I just want the updated standard features for digital drawing/painting and occasional photo manipulations for my websites. I'm curious if anyone here has ever ordered rather pricey software such as Photoshop off Ebay?

While I'm at it, I may as well ask, is anyone here using the new Photoshop CS4 that just came out recently? I'm currently using Photoshop7 from 2000 or so. CS4 does say it's supported under XP-64bit so it's "supposed" to work well on my machine according to Adobe and specifically make use of all the RAM I stuck in this thing. I've heard rumors that pen tablets are trickier (but not impossible) to get setup in CS3 but supposedly this was fixed with CS4...true? After I got the pen tablet I never wanna have to use a brick (mouse) to draw or make image masks again!

yep.....got ripped off....no real way to get my money back.......will never do it again.......

the wife just ordered CS4, should be here next week, so i havent got to mess with it yet, have just messed with CS2 a bit

I've always gotten my $ back when I used Paypal. Luckily for me only 3 out of 600 or so purchases/sales have ever been bad but $60 was the most I've ever had to collect from a delinquent seller. Did you use Paypal?

Where did you guys order it from? Direct from Adobe themselves?

yeah she orders it from Adobe itself.....they have an early introduction price right now that saved a bit...not sure if you can upgrade from 7......

forget how she paid, just remember it was CS she got ripped off on.....looked legit when it got here but the registration key was no good and couldnt get one that was.......you asked for experience and this is mine.....i wont do it again......

looked legit when it got here but the registration key was no good and couldnt get one that was...
that's what I needed to hear man! That was my big fear! Was yours shrink wrapped and all that?

yep shrink wrapped.....looked just like if we would have ordered it from Adobe brand new.....

Cool, glad you filled me in cos that was what I was worried about. They'd have a receipt showing they shipped me... something! So they can prove they shipped me ... something! My other bad deals on Ebay all were "never shipped" items I never even got empty boxes so I basically had to get reimbursed. Guess I'll justsave my milk money for a few more weeks and order direct or get it at a softwareshop downtown. lol!

Do you guys use a Wacom tablet?

i believe that was the problem my wife ran into....they shipped "sealed from the factory software" and we couldnt return the same cause we had opened it of course or some damn loophole like that in their favor.....

Yeah, even shops like Software Etc. Guitar Center or Best Buy will tell you "since you opened it...it's yours" which is the pissoir! It's the reason I hate buying software anywhere.

"Buying functioning software is like religion, it's based on faith." ;)

Would Adobe not help you guys with it?

nope they wouldnt cause we didnt get it from them and they were pretty sure it was bogus......IIRC they gave the wife a bit of a discount to purchase it from them but it still wound up costing us more than if we had just bought it from them due to buying two different copies.....

Sounds like a bad to worse situation! I shall take thine advice - thanks man!! :)

I've bought software from eBay without a hitch, but we all know that some % of the sellers are crooks. I'm not recommending you buy it that way because it's all about risk tolerance and how much you can save. You'll have to decide that for yourself and it's good (for you, not him) that Rattler can tell you about the down side of eBay. The only time I ever was ripped off was one of those side sales eBay warns people about. Instead of receiving the two disks I expected, I received one. But I've done a few others and they were as smooth as any legitimate transaction.

your right Bruce, there are prolly plenty of legit sellers, but the guy we bought ours from had a good reputation and all that, im not sure how you can weed out the good from the bad.....if you know a way and your comfortable with it go ahead, but i for one will not be buying higher end software like Adobe's stuff off ebay.......games and the like where if im wrong im out $30 or so is one thing, but $300 plus is a hard pill to swallow......

Yeah, I'm definitely an Ebay addict and not averse to shopping online. Heck, I bought my custom quad core desktop setup off Ebay a year or two ago after all. The only thing that sucks about it is that I asked for the XP-64 OS and I didn't know hardly anything I wanted to use works under the 64 bit OS but that was my dumb mistake. The seller did exactly as I asked and delivered my rather uncooperative baby in a week. lol! Now he's gonna help me downgrade it to XP-32 so I can use all my MIDI synthesizer stuff with it that'll be nice!

But Rattlers exp. is exactly what I feared about the software.

I suppose I could have theoretically gotten a bogus PC too from an unscrupulous seller. Or an empty PC case for 3K! That was taking 10 times the finacial risk but the seller had 10,000+ sales and spent a lotta his own money calling me from the time I inquired until I received it and was surfing online with it

Back