What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butt smoking status?

15 hrs later but omg,
I had no idea it could taste this good!
wow, wow, wow the bark is like candy....
but now it's so late and I'm so tired I'm just going to bed LOL
bb3.jpg

Av

mmmmm it looks delicious :D

The so called "candy" will give you polyps when you go for your annual colonoscopy. I would eat the sweets sparingly......

awesome looking butt there Brother.
I wrap the meat after the smoke is finished to keep in moisture during the long process.
Sorry for the late finish, butt it is good cold too!
Remember, when it is finished, you can wrap in foil....then a towel....and place in an insulated cooler. It would be warm for lunch the next day.

After 53 years of eating as much BB-Q (and I love the bark "candy") as I can.....my colonoscopy was clear of pollylips.

....annual colonoscopy......
annual?????
buzz kill... omg those give me nightmares, I feel violated LOL :p
already know that routine, ahhh the joys of middle age...

mommy, the fuzzy teddy bear/guinea pig lady is scaring me again :)
Here have a piece of bark Jen, you know you wanna....

awesome looking butt there Brother.
I wrap the meat after the smoke is finished to keep in moisture during the long process.
Sorry for the late finish, butt it is good cold too!
Remember, when it is finished, you can wrap in foil....then a towel....and place in an insulated cooler. It would be warm for lunch the next day.

After 53 years of eating as much BB-Q (and I love the bark "candy") as I can.....my colonoscopy was clear of pollylips.

Woot woot, I had no idea box, I just thought I had good bbq before

I'm vacuum packing and freezing what I wont eat today, I will have to do this for the next big family get together :)

I had absolutely NO idea what this was about when I read your title. :p

...Then I remembered that you'd recently bought a new smoker.

Whatever. Your barbecue looks delicious!

Looks delicious. Pulled pork isn't that common over here... I guess the closest we usually get is spit roast pork, which is ubiquitous at country fayres etc :)

The large intestine is long, so lots of material to chop away at. Some of the medial doctors who espouse limiting carcinogenic foods had to go under the knife themselves. I guess they frequented the hot dog car one too many times. I concur, sans a couple inches of intestine never hurt anyone. Although, it is blackish, has some rough deformities inside, and does not look too appetizing. I was dared to taste a piece for a Benjamin.......

The so called "candy" will give you polyps when you go for your annual colonoscopy. I would eat the sweets sparingly......

Pokie, aka "the bright ray of sunshine." You could just as easily have a Muni bus with your name on it as potential nodules in your guttiwuts.

Butch, I already have the Tincher Massif bib and a tablet of Lipitor the size of a cuttlebone . . .

so thankful that i was not born into your household :lol:

Now that's a good looking butt!

Is it just my warped sense of humor or is the fact that someone who goes by "pokie" is talking about a colonoscopy really funny?

lololol..... so, so wrong on so many levels

Wow, this thread derailed. LOL! :lol:

butch, that looks mighty tasty. Save me some, I'll be right over. ;) I'll bring the A&W and some French vanilla ice cream.

I know this is late on so many levels Butch. How did the butt picking turn out?? When I smoke a butt I baste with apple juice and use apple chips. Never taste the apple when done. Turns out awesome. I also use mustard and a rub.Very delicious. How was yours??

Wow, this thread derailed. LOL! :lol:

butch, that looks mighty tasty. Save me some, I'll be right over. ;) I'll bring the A&W and some French vanilla ice cream.
Ohhhh frosted mug too...

I know this is late on so many levels Butch. How did the butt picking turn out?? When I smoke a butt I baste with apple juice and use apple chips. Never taste the apple when done. Turns out awesome. I also use mustard and a rub.Very delicious. How was yours??

It was the best pulled pork I had ever ate bar none. It was uber moist, just the right amount of spice, and the bark was amazing.
I have done one more since that one, did one for sis and her family.... they loved it. I'm now the family pitmaster LOL

I've been using the mustard as a base on my ribs, but been using EVOO on the butts...
Confidence and skill level building :)

It takes every bit of 2+ hrs per pound at 225f, a decent sized butt is an all day and half the night job to cook

its also a good example in the laws of thermodynamics... initially the internal meat temps climb fast while temp differential is at max, then as the temps approach each other you may see just 2 or 3 degree per hour increase.
Also, you have the "stall" at 160-ish from evaporational cooling and the phase change of the collagen taking place....
Ill have to use this in class as an example LOL

stall_chart1.jpg

lol, taste great and is educational :D
hmmm wonder if that makes it a valid deduction LOL

Last edited:
Finally took the plunge and upgraded my MES30 with the "AMNPS"
I had seen all the positive reviews, but man....

No more refilling the chip tray every 30-45mins.
Fill it once and it produces a constant sweet, thin blue smoke for up to 10-11 hours...
(burn time depends on how much you fill it)
Doesn't require a lot of pellets either, I got a 5 lb bag of hickory with my tray and it seems like it should last a while.
Great taste too...
Super simple concept and has to be the best MES upgrade ever :)

I should be able to cold smoke Salmon and cheese now too I believe... woot woot

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
:p

Last edited:
mmmmm@ smoked salmon. I live near the oldest salmon fish house in Scotland and the smell is amazing when they are smoking.

mmmmm@ smoked salmon. I live near the oldest salmon fish house in Scotland and the smell is amazing when they are smoking.

Your smoked salmon is legendary even in the hills of Appalachia...

Think I've got whole chicken figured out....
Last weekends attempt was sooooooooooo delicious

When I pulled the temp probe out, juices literally spewed out
smokedchicken.jpg

As pretty as any you will see in a cookbook imho :)

nomnomnomnom :-O

Back