What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bush signs new energy bill...........

read through it.......panders to the al gore nuts......panders to the oil companies.....screws us the tax payers.

he actually thinks we are going to be able to grow our way out of oil dependancy with corn.....freaking idiots. you cant get enough fuel out of corn to matter given the drop in fuel efficiantcy and the amount of fuel it takes to grow it......makes ZERO sence what so ever......only way ethonal is feasable as an alternitave energy source is to do like Brazil and use sugar cane......though im wondering if the same can be done with sugar beets?? congress and Bush pushed through an energy bill that isnt even feasible.........we are going to be paying for this one for a long time folks.......check how many products you eat/drink that have corn, corn meal, corn syrup..........the price of all these is going to go sky high....hell since the E85 fuel came out the cost of corn just used for bird seed went up 50%........i agree we need to get away from oil, i agree we need to find alternitave fuel sources but ethonal from corn is flat out idiotic........

You know why corn ethonal is so big. Agricultural interests. Every politician in South Dakota is gushing about it. The newspapers attack any “expert” that says corn ethonal is not the answer and more to all our problems, and give their own experts that say all this candy coated bull on how corn ethonal is the best thing and how corn on corn (on corn on corn) rotation is actually a GOOD practice and has no repercussions with soil fertility and erosion. The industry backs everyone who has that on the ticket and the industry is the big hitter out here. Saving good old AMERICAN farms and all. More corn ethonal is on every agricultural state politicians ticket. why do you think?

This has nothing to do with gore, this worse for the environment than the energy saved. I know you like to blame gore but this is not his doing.

i said "al gore nutz" meaning the enviromental nut jobs..............wasnt grouping those sanly looking for answers to the problem. there is far more on the bill than just the corn ethonal, and like i said there are even hand outs to the oil companies.

yeah i understand WHY corn is on there but i sure in the hell dont agree with it even living in an area that does grow corn......not alot but we do have a number of acres of corn........as i said......i wonder if ethonal could effectivly and economically be made out of sugar beets. they can grow in alot of areas and be used as part of crop rotation with corn and such...........the US sure cant grow enough sugar cane to produce much ethonal but alot of the US can grow sugar beets.......

Even environmental nuts got disenchanted with corn ethonal after it gobbled up more and more sub-prime drought-prone pasture land into corn fields due to the increased prices. The farmers are insured by the government so they can just sit on land that wont in a normal year grow jack but still get compensated by the government.

The only way to make ethonal environmentally and economically sound is from cellulose… cellulose is just a gigantic complex sugar structure… that most things cant digest… date-palm oil and sugarcane are both not really the answers either…

The energy of fossil fuels was built up over hundreds of thousands of years, all that time of collecting the sun's collective energy is compressed into dense packets. An annual crop just collects one years worth of the sun's energy by comparison. Not like there is an alternative once we run out.

Environmental nut jobs hate the energy bill. It doesn't pander to them; it panders to self-absorbed suburbanites who can afford a Prius for the 30 mile commute from their lily-white neighborhood and feel good about themselves because they recycle all their water bottles. And, of course, it especially panders to all kinds of corporate interests.

There is no good alternative to cutting back on energy use. And, until I see more hybrid cars in front of 1,000 sq ft houses than 2,500 sq ft houses, I'll continue to believe they're all about status (and tax breaks), and say nothing about a commitment to saving energy.

dude......my house is 2000ish square foot.....ok closer to 1900.........it aint that big of a house.........fairly cheap to heat......the other issue with the bill is the mandating of higher fuel economy............struck me as funny cause yah only get about 75% mpg out of a gallon of ethonal as you do gasoline..........why cant we get the lil economic diesel cars you see in europe that get 50+ mpg? not to mention you get more diesel out of a barrel of crude than you do gasoline........not a long term solution of course but could help out for the near future........

Sigh...

I can't wait to see the day when people don't know what oil is. Corn will not save us either...Bring on the solar panels!

Just gimme a Prius. Not because I'm a hippie, even though I pretty much am. Because I'm a cheap hippie.

Sigh...

I can't wait to see the day when people don't know what oil is. Corn will not save us either...Bring on the solar panels!

question......what are we going to do with all the batteries? in order for electrical powered cars and the like to truely work we need a leap in battery technology........the only feasible ones now are quite heavy and toxic(lead and hydrocloric acid) there are some newer things out we need to improve our electrical storage capibilities for them to work well......not to mention how in the hell are you going to power New York City off of solar?

.why cant we get the lil economic diesel cars you see in europe that get 50+ mpg?

LOL... dont you see trucks in your area getting bigger every year... your from pickup truck central too... even people who dont ever need to move anything have one... in highschool everyone thought real men only drove pickups... and some of the older ones are not much better. Id love to see how they would react to cars that they could fit in truck's back...

Need them Lithium ion batteries to get bigger and cheaper.

power New York City off of solar?

Since when did energy production need to be local? I read that there are plans in Europe to build solar plants in the Sahara and transport it north... it wont happen but it would work.

We should all just move to the moon. Then we don't have to worry about transportation and renewable resources since everyone will just want to jump everywhere!

xvart.

We should all just move to the moon. Then we don't have to worry about transportation and renewable resources since everyone will just want to jump everywhere!

xvart.

You are a modern genius xvart.

Finch......where you and i live is quite different from Southern Cali and Florida and the like........yeah i got a half ton pick up, but im also out on the roads before the snow plows on a regular basis..............South Cali doesnt have to worry about 6 inches of snow. i couldnt stand to have one of those lil cars but ive also got a family of 4 that needs to travel long distances on a regular basis through weather that would shut down Seattle let alone LA or San Diego..............big difference between my needs and someone who lives in the city.

Not only do trucks get bigger every year, but at least where I live...EVERYONE has one. Let me put it this way: if your family has less than 4 people, you work construction, or on a farm....you DO NOT need a truck. If all these stupid kids around here stopped getting huge trucks for compensations sake, maybe gas wouldn't be $3 a gallon...

Finch......where you and i live is quite different from Southern Cali and Florida and the like........yeah i got a half ton pick up, but im also out on the roads before the snow plows on a regular basis..............South Cali doesnt have to worry about 6 inches of snow. i couldnt stand to have one of those lil cars but ive also got a family of 4 that needs to travel long distances on a regular basis through weather that would shut down Seattle let alone LA or San Diego..............big difference between my needs and someone who lives in the city.

I agree here, too. Where my dad lives if they get some snow flurries or a quarter inch of snow they close schools because nobody knows what to do! Where I live we get ice for three days straight and we still have school.

if your family has less than 4 people

I totally agree, PK. Usually, with a family of 4 or more there are better vehicles to get anyway (not that many of the "better" alternatives are any more fuel efficient, but still...

stopped getting huge trucks for compensations sake

lmao.

xvart.

I agree here, too. Where my dad lives if they get some snow flurries or a quarter inch of snow they close schools because nobody knows what to do! Where I live we get ice for three days straight and we still have school.

lol my sister in law moved from where she was going to school in North Dakota to her new job based out of Memphis, Tenn. she said when a snow storm hit she could make better time throwing here lil S10 Blazer into 4wd and taking the ditch do to all the ppl who didnt know how to drive on ice and snow. the funny thing is up here there really isnt a big truck competition....lots of the high school kids drive cars or something along the lines of the lil blazers and cherokees and such or the parents old truck which is usually a stock half ton......alot of the farmers and ranchers will have a 3/4 or full ton. few large families have the large suburbans and such.......we had a 2003 Chevy impala that was great most the year but even it was to low to the ground for our general use in the winter. some of the other cars with more ground clearnce faired better but it was rather easy to high center....especially when the city snow removal crew was in the middle of clearing stuff..

Back