What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burrowing pest?

I made an odd discovery this morning:

CB7GlR5.jpg

It seems something burrowed into this pot through one of the drain holes I drilled. Inspecting the others it looks like the creature may have exited through another one. Has anyone experienced this before or have any idea what might have done this?

If you hadn't drilled the hole I would have suspected it was a carpenter bee (usually bores 1/2" diameter holes).

Off the top of my head, I'd guess a member of the Family Hymenoptera. The size of the hole could have an impact on just which type.

I believe I used a 1/4" drill bit. The possibility of a carpenter bee was brought up elsewhere but it is actually a plastic pot, just made to look like wood.

Bumbles would still be likely candidates as would some of the solitary bees and solitary wasps.

I doubt a bumblebee could fit through that hole so it must be a smaller bee or wasp. Sounds like it's harmless though, whatever has been digging. Thanks for the information.

Back