What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulbo burfordiense grandiflorum

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Bulbo burfordiense (grandiflorum)
This gall was growing out in the GH and is now in my living room so I can enjoy the flower, but here are some pictures of the first flower of this plant under my care.  This is the second spike, but the first blasted and never flowered.
Bulbophyllum%20burfordiense%20grandiflorum%20001_300x227.jpg

Bulbophyllum%20burfordiense%20grandiflorum%20002_300x227.jpg

Bulbophyllum%20burfordiense%20grandiflorum%20003_300x227.jpg

Bulbophyllum%20burfordiense%20grandiflorum%20004_300x227.jpg

Bulbophyllum%20burfordiense%20grandiflorum%20006_300x227.jpg

Bulbophyllum%20burfordiense%20grandiflorum%20005_300x227.jpg

Very cool. Hopefully it isn't a "fragrant" Bulbo or, if it is, it just smells like some socks that need washing instead of something worse.

Nope Bruce it is not fragrent.  Now the bulbo Phal I just recieved on the other hand I hear will drive me out of the GH when its in bloom.  LMAO  I have one other bulbo I can't remember the name right now. It is fragrent, but you have to put your nose to it to smell it. It smells like fish slime.

Awesome - I've never seen this one!
smile.gif

So many Bulbophyllum flowers are hum drum look-alikes but THIS is really something! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice.

Your welcome guys. I am looking forward to my blumii blooming. Eventualy! The lobii is in spike now too. Then I have another that I can;t remembere the name of in spike that smells like fish slime, but only when you put your nose to it.

Is that a Coryanthes or Stanhopea back there on the right? I'd love to have one of those but I don't have a large enough place to hang it and it's pendant blooms.
smile_h_32.gif

Yes Swords those are stanopeas in the back ground. They are still seedlings and haven't bloomed yet. Stans don;t really take up that much room unless you let the plants get big. The blooms do not really go too far from the bottom of the baskets. Definatly nothing like a gongora. They get long on some species, but most stans stay right uner the pot. I want to get some Coryanthes. I haven't purchased any of those yet. Have fun!!

Yes, I saw some great Gongora specimens at this years orchid show! None of my pics worked out but definately a genus I'd like to have a few species from someday.
I've seen Coryanthes macrantha in bloom at Orchids Ltd. a few times (during the hottest part of the year IIRC)- such a great shape!

They had some at the ATL botanical gardens. I liked them. I just haven't acquired any yet. The only Gongora I have that’s blooming size is a tricolor, and it is on the last two of 6 spikes this year. There is a 7th on the way. I love that plant! It was one of my first orchids I purchased mail order and it has been a stunning plant. I have it in an 8 inch slat basket and I have divided it 3 or 4 times and its still filling the pot. I find it to be a pretty fast grower. Also keep in mind when I divide I just take off like a 4 Pbulb chunk and not necessarily divide evenly. I think I have gotten 4 divisions off of this plant so far, and still end up with 7 spikes come flower time. I would have had 8, but one blasted because it ran into an obstruction while forming and I didn't get to it in time. I am on the look out for a quinqenervous (Sp) that is all red! I have seen one. In fact it’s the picture on orchid species page. It’s actually under another gongora, but it is a synonym for quinqinervous. Stunning flower!!

Back